Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cooling motors and board

Posted by ByteSlinger 
Cooling motors and board
April 06, 2016 02:54PM
I've been experiencing layer shifting followed by layer separation on my prints at around 10 hours into my prints ultimately ruining them after a days work.
I have a feeling this may be due to the motors/motor controllers overheating. As a result, I'd like to add some sort of cooling for them but wondered what solutions other people had already put in place with their fishers.

My idea was to get a couple of 5v fans and fit them in the windows of the panels where you'd usually push in the RepRap logo.

Any suggestions?
Re: Cooling motors and board
April 07, 2016 04:01AM
I had some layer shifting and sparation problems on some larger prints and found it to be due to a mechnical problem after a reassembly of the hot end, It was my error, I had connected the hot end connector the wrong side of the print head fan and it fouled a rod at a wide point higher up in the print, although it was well clear of rods at lower print levels. I looked up layer shifting on one of the 3D printer troubleshooting sites and it indicated it was most likely due to mechanical problems. May be worthwhile checking if anything similar is happening with yours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2016 04:02AM by SSMagic.
April 07, 2016 02:09PM
eMaker have some 19v 40mm fans for sale that could be put in place of the logo. I've bought one but not fitted it yet as I intend to make new side panels that aren't so bendy.
April 18, 2016 04:24AM
I'm thinking of making a bespoke table for the printer with a hole directly underneath it in which I can fit a fan. If I have the fan facing down, in theory this should pull air down through the logo holes, past the board and down out of the table. Do you think this is sufficient? I would have it facing up directly onto the board but was thinking that may then blow air out around the print bed edges and not sure if that would affect print quality?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login