Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dead fan?

Posted by ntsewell 
Dead fan?
February 10, 2016 04:58AM
Hi all,

I have had a Fisher Delta for about 3 months and have printed more than 1kg reel of material during this time, mostly making bits and bobs for my 3-year old son to play with! I've been really impressed with the little beast, it's capability, accuracy and robustness, however, last night (my birthday!) disaster struck!

I'd just started a build and was on the first layer when the cooling fan turned itself off - it has never done this before as far as I'm aware, but sometimes I let it build for 3 or more hours without watching. Then, just like that it started again... only to stop again a few minutes later. A minute or so later extrusion stopped and I stopped the build.

This was 11pm last night, so I've not managed to delve deep into the problem, but I have checked and there's 20V going to the fan. The nozzle is getting hot. I think that the top of the nozzle assembly is getting too hot and perhaps it's jamming up there for some reason, but since this coincided with the stopping of the fan, I think my fan has died! Does anyone have experience of them dropping dead?

I wasn't worried, given that it should all have been in warranty... then I checked the RepRapPro website... sad news sad smiley

So I guess I'm asking, has anyone else experienced such problems, and does anyone know where I can get a new fan please?

Many thanks in advance!

Neil
Re: Dead fan?
February 10, 2016 05:59AM
Hi, These fans are really rare, But emakershop has them at the moment. I ordered two last week as one of my fans was starting to scream on startup. But before changing the fan I would make sure that the wiring was all nice and tight, early on I had the fan stop a couple of times and it was just loose wiring to the duet.

Heres the link for the fan.

[www.emakershop.com]

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
February 10, 2016 06:53AM
Hi DADIY,

Many thanks for that - I'll order a couple.

I'm pretty sure it the fan as I am getting voltage (20V, actually) to the fan terminal on the plug... I can't see why it's failed though, but it's basically a sealed unit.

I'll test it when I get it out on a separate PSU.

Thanks again for the link - I was really sad to see the end of RRP.

Cheers

Neil
February 10, 2016 08:11AM
Hi Neil,

Whilst your playing with your fan I can recommend that you take a look at the latest firmware from dc42, this supports having the fan only come on when the hot end is hot. This reduces the time the fan runs if you leave your printer unattended.

A bit more info on the fan mod -

Latest DC42 firmware is on his github here - [github.com]

You'll need to add to the config.g the command M106 P1 T45 H1 - this turns on the fan at 45c and off again when its below 45c.

Then all you need to do is connect your fan to the FAN0 connector in the corner of the duet 0.6 board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 08:36AM by DADIY.

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
February 10, 2016 09:44AM
Hi DADIY,

That sounds good, thanks for the tip.

I'll upgrade the firmware whilst I'm waiting for the fans to turn up. I ordered a couple, just in case!

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers

Neil
February 10, 2016 10:13AM
DADIY
Hi Neil,

Whilst your playing with your fan I can recommend that you take a look at the latest firmware from dc42, this supports having the fan only come on when the hot end is hot. This reduces the time the fan runs if you leave your printer unattended.

A bit more info on the fan mod -

Latest DC42 firmware is on his github here - [github.com]

You'll need to add to the config.g the command M106 P1 T45 H1 - this turns on the fan at 45c and off again when its below 45c.

Then all you need to do is connect your fan to the FAN0 connector in the corner of the duet 0.6 board.

That config.g line is for connecting the hot end fan to the FAN1 connector on the Duet 0.8.5. For the FAN0 connector on the Duet 0.6, use P0 instead of P1. And of course you lose the option to connect a print cooling fan controlled by the usual M106 Snn command.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 10, 2016 12:16PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login