Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruding issues

Posted by pixelseventy2 
Extruding issues
December 19, 2015 11:56AM
Hi. I'm having a similar problem to a couple of the other recent posts, relating to extrusion.

I've had several successful prints, but I've had to abort a couple of my last few bigger prints (only 35x80mm) early on due to it stopping extruding. I'm not hearing the skipping sound when it happens, it just stopped extruding. I have got my idler pretty tight, which I had to do at first to get it to extrude. I'm not seeing marks on the filament though. When I first tried manually extruding through the web interface at the default speed of 40 mm/s it skipped a lot; it only extrudes reliably at 10 mm/s

I'm printing mostly at 0.3mm layer height, should the starting layer be higher than 0.35? I've tried upping it to 0.4, and slowed down the printing speed from 80mm/s to 50mm/s. I'm using the eSun PLA that came with the printer.

I'm also seeing occasional gaps in the infill layers. Is this related, or something else?

Thanks.
Re: Extruding issues
December 19, 2015 12:02PM
Is it a Fisher Beta or a Fisher 1? They have different extruders.

Don't expect reliable extrusion at more than about 10mm/sec using a 0.4 or 0.5mm nozzle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 12:02PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 19, 2015 12:04PM
It's a Fisher 1. OK, it's good to know that needing the slower extrusion speed is normal. Are the higher speeds just there to pull it through the PTFE tube then?
December 19, 2015 12:28PM
Yes, higher speeds are just for loading/unloading filament. If you do the sums, you will find that even if you print at 100mm/sec, you only need to push filament through at about 5mm/sec.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 19, 2015 12:39PM
OK, that makes me feel better about what I was experiencing there. But what about the extruder stopping, or more likely skipping? After my last print failed, it wouldn't push anything through regardless, but there was no clicking. I backed it right off, then pushed it through again and it seemed OK. Could it have been a bad bit of filament?

Regarding the gaps, I measured the PLA and it comes out at ~1.7mm. Slic3r is set to 1.73, and 0.95 extrusion multiplier. I've corrected the diameter, but what about the multiplier? Manually increasing it to around 105% in the web interface during a print seems to help a bit with these gaps.

Thanks again
December 19, 2015 07:52PM
you have three factors that all effectively control the same thing, set two of them to default and adjust the third, dont mess about adjusting all three you will only cause confusion

The three factors I'm talking about are the diameter 1.73, extrusion multiplier 0.95 and 105% in web interface if you multiply them out you get a diameter of 1.726, ie if you set the extrusion multiplier to 1.0 and the web interface to 100% then leave the diameter at 1.73 (its close enough to 1.726) then you get exactly the same performance

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
December 20, 2015 05:10AM
Thanks. But what does this affect? 1.73x0.95 gives 1.65 - is this supposed to compensate for undersized filament? Or oversized? I have a sample of Rigid Ink, which is a solid 1.75mm across its length, should that be set to 1.75 and a multiplier of 1? In trying to understand why I have gaps, and thought it might be because of the undersized filament. Presumably slic3r extrudes based on the entered sizes?

Thanks again.
December 21, 2015 02:11PM
So, I've just had it stop extruding again during a print. Again, retracting 50-100mm then extruding again has got it going. Is this the nozzle getting clogged? Is so, is there something I can do to prevent this? Thanks
tml
December 22, 2015 03:58AM
Did you try increasing the temperature?
December 22, 2015 05:21AM
Hi. I was already running at 210. I didn't try increasing the temp, as it didn't occur to me and I thought it would be high enough. This isn't happening regularly, or on every print, but enough that I don't trust leaving it alone to print at this point. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login