Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cura

Posted by DADIY 
Cura
December 08, 2015 02:43PM
Is anyone using cura? I've tried slic3r and simplify3d and both have issues. Slic3r seems to struggle with manual layouts/raft and complex model slicing whereas simplify3d struggles with basics like skirt speed. I tried creating a cura profile but so far get very slow musical results. So if anyone would like to share there cura settings it would be appreciated.
Re: Cura
December 08, 2015 03:37PM
I did some tests with Cura when I was trying to identify and resolve print quality problems in my fork of RepRapFirmware. I found it contained a serous bug: sometimes it inserted tiny non-extruding G0 moves in between normal extruding moves. This start/stop of the extruder caused print quality issue, so I gave up using it.

Another problem with Cura is that it doesn't support relative extrusion in the generated gcode.

I was using slic3r exclusively, but I and some other users find that recent releases crash so often that it has become unusable. This may be related to configuration for dual extrusion, because many users don't have this problem. So I now use S3D exclusively.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 03:38PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 08, 2015 04:23PM
Thanks for the info. I'm struggling with S3D as the skirt always prints at full speed so I usually start printing without decent adhesion. How are you getting over this? And could you share your FFf file?
December 08, 2015 04:39PM
DADIY
Thanks for the info. I'm struggling with S3D as the skirt always prints at full speed so I usually start printing without decent adhesion. How are you getting over this? And could you share your FFf file?

Isn't the skirt printed at the first layer speed?

I could share my FFF file, but as my delta printer is not a Fisher I'm not sure it would be helpful. My base printing speed is 100mm/sec with first layer modifier 25% and outline modifier 50%. I print PLA on a PEI bed plate heated to about 60C.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 09, 2015 02:36AM
There appears to be a bug with the first layer speed not affecting the skirt, there's some discussion in the simplify3d forum but it doesn't affect everyone it seems. [forum.simplify3d.com]
December 09, 2015 04:17AM
DADIY
There appears to be a bug with the first layer speed not affecting the skirt, there's some discussion in the simplify3d forum but it doesn't affect everyone it seems. [forum.simplify3d.com]

That thread is quite old so I am wondering whether it relates to an older version of S3D. I am running 3.01.

December 09, 2015 06:23AM
I'm running 3.0.2 - and there are some other forum threads on the issue too.

As it turns out I think I found what the cause was, when looking in the gcode the same speed was being used if I set the first layer speed to 20% or 1% and it turns out that the cooling adjust printing speed for layers below xx seconds was overriding the first layer speed.

Now all I have to do is get the print quality from S3D to be as good as Slic3r.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login