Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

whats your deviation!!!

Posted by Sean.kennedy 
whats your deviation!!!
November 28, 2015 04:57AM
My prints are coming out pretty good, but first layer has always had an issue. (it may have something to do with only being able to use pronterface) but at the moment every time I do a bed calibration, it comes back saying I had a 7.661 deviation. How does that stack up to everyone else?
Re: whats your deviation!!!
November 28, 2015 08:57AM
Just rebuilt my effector today and tweaked a few things, my deviation on a 6/10 calibration cycle is down to 0.033, it had drifted up to 0.055 (from normally being 0.04) and I started getting first layer issues which is why I did the rebuild.

7.661!, there is something wrong there, what cycle are you using?

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
November 28, 2015 08:58AM
I had a few issues with the first layer that I found were corrected by increasing the print temperature. For me the esun pla seems to print best at 220c.

I had a simular deviation until I tweaked my config.g with my settings and now use the 6 point calibration.
November 28, 2015 09:00AM
DADIY
I had a few issues with the first layer that I found were corrected by increasing the print temperature. For me the esun pla seems to print best at 220c.

I had a simular deviation until I tweaked my config.g with my settings and now use the 6 point calibration.

I typically use eSun at 200C,

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
November 28, 2015 09:40AM
bgkdavis
Just rebuilt my effector today and tweaked a few things, my deviation on a 6/10 calibration cycle is down to 0.033, it had drifted up to 0.055 (from normally being 0.04) and I started getting first layer issues which is why I did the rebuild.

7.661!, there is something wrong there, what cycle are you using?

Rebuilt your effector? I do recall having a bit of trouble with the balls and getting it to 56mm. Do you think that could be the culprit?

as well as, few have mentioned changing it to a 6 or 10 pint calibration, how do i do that?
November 28, 2015 06:52PM
It could be, but I was chasing a small deviation, it turned out one of the balls was loose and I tweaked a few positions, I did post my 6/10 bed.g file for someone recently, here

[forums.reprap.org]

You could try using my easy adjust efector mod

[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2015 06:58PM by bgkdavis.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
December 01, 2015 07:27AM
bgkdavis
It could be, but I was chasing a small deviation, it turned out one of the balls was loose and I tweaked a few positions, I did post my 6/10 bed.g file for someone recently, here

[forums.reprap.org]

You could try using my easy adjust efector mod

[www.thingiverse.com]

I tried your file, the 10 point is awesome and worked great, but almost too great. it left no space at all between the build plate and the nozzle, to the point the filament couldnt be extruded. I have tinkered a bit, but giving my very basic knowledge, i didnt want to change too much. any suggestions?
December 01, 2015 08:17AM
After running the calibration a few times ( I think at least three) you can run the M665 and M666 commands to get the values for your printer and then update the config.g file with your settings. Then after you power off and back on again you only need to run the calibration once to get a good deviation. Note that the nozzle is clean when you calibrate.

The last part of the m666 command controls the Z height at the start of the print. Although some software like Simplify3d has this adjust as part of the first layer. So Z0.52 is just a bit off the bed surface.

Here's an example of my output and config.g settings - don't copy these verbatim just run the calibration and few times to get your own.

Command outputs
;5:25:46 PM M665
;Diagonal 160.00, delta radius 81.51, homed height 177.02, bed radius 75.0, X -0.14°, Y -0.62°, Z 0.00°
;5:25:49 PM M666
;Endstop adjustments X-0.13 Y-0.39 Z0.52

Changes to config.g
M665 R81.51 L160.0 B75 H177.02 ; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height
M666 X-0.13 Y-0.39 Z0.52 ; put your endstop adjustments here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 08:18AM by DADIY.
December 01, 2015 11:02AM
DADIY
After running the calibration a few times ( I think at least three) you can run the M665 and M666 commands to get the values for your printer and then update the config.g file with your settings. Then after you power off and back on again you only need to run the calibration once to get a good deviation. Note that the nozzle is clean when you calibrate.

The last part of the m666 command controls the Z height at the start of the print. Although some software like Simplify3d has this adjust as part of the first layer. So Z0.52 is just a bit off the bed surface.

Here's an example of my output and config.g settings - don't copy these verbatim just run the calibration and few times to get your own.

Command outputs
;Diagonal 160.00, delta radius 81.51, homed height 177.02, bed radius 75.0, X -0.14°, Y -0.62°, Z 0.00°

Changes to config.g
M665 R81.51 L160.0 B75 H177.02 ; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height

Thanks Dadiy,

I will do that!
December 01, 2015 03:37PM
Sean.kennedy
bgkdavis

[forums.reprap.org]

You could try using my easy adjust efector

I tried your file, the 10 point is awesome and worked great, but almost too great. it left no space at all between the build plate and the nozzle, to the point the filament couldnt be extruded. I have tinkered a bit, but giving my very basic knowledge, i didnt want to change too much. any suggestions?

You probably need to adjust the h parameters, see my last post on the thread with the 6/10 file

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
December 02, 2015 03:46PM
DADIY

Command outputs

Changes to config.g

SOOOOOO i have done it, but sadly with the same results. its so close to the build plate that nothing can get extruded.

here are my values that i copied into the config file.

m665
Diagonal 160.00, delta radius 82.66, homed height 177.83, bed radius 75.0, X -0.0°, Y -0.1°

m666
Endstop adjustments X0.46 Y-0.25 Z-0.21

so how do i make it start higher?
December 02, 2015 04:47PM
Sean.kennedy

You need to adjust the H parameters, the H parameters in my bed.G are unique to my printer which due to the modification I've done is.... unique.

to set the H parameters first set the step movements to half, so your smallest jog step is 0,.05mm (this is done somewhere on the web interface.

now note the position of every probe move in the bed.g

move to each XY position in the bed.g individually and repeat this process

1 do a G30
2 jog the Z axis down until it just traps a piece of paper between the nozzle and bed
3 note the Z height
4 enter this Z height into the H parameter of that position in the bed.G file.

When you have done this for all positions redo the calibration and M666/M665 parameters.

If it still close to be after having done this then you can just offset the Z axis.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
December 06, 2015 01:10PM
bgkdavis
Sean.kennedy

You need to adjust the H parameters, the H parameters in my bed.G are unique to my printer which due to the modification I've done is.... unique.

to set the H parameters first set the step movements to half, so your smallest jog step is 0,.05mm (this is done somewhere on the web interface.

now note the position of every probe move in the bed.g

move to each XY position in the bed.g individually and repeat this process

1 do a G30
2 jog the Z axis down until it just traps a piece of paper between the nozzle and bed
3 note the Z height
4 enter this Z height into the H parameter of that position in the bed.G file.

When you have done this for all positions redo the calibration and M666/M665 parameters.

If it still close to be after having done this then you can just offset the Z axis.

No luck, I don't have a Web interface. The network port on my duet is shotty. How do I do it by offset?
December 06, 2015 10:12PM
you should still adjust your H parameters, I'm sure the same job can be done via pronterface, someone else will need to supply the details

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
December 07, 2015 01:39PM
bgkdavis
you should still adjust your H parameters, I'm sure the same job can be done via pronterface, someone else will need to supply the details

Will certainly have to investigate that. But in the meantime, could you please let me know how to offset the z axis?
December 08, 2015 04:04AM
G92 I think, move to height you want to set as zero then do a G92Z0

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
December 08, 2015 04:52AM
bgkdavis
G92 I think, move to height you want to set as zero then do a G92Z0

Indeed move nozzle to desired height then issue G92 Z0 (not sure if the space is needed or not)
December 08, 2015 06:25AM
Sean, you might like to try my 1.09m-dc42 firmware. It corrects a bug whereby the Z=0 height was not quite correct after running G32. The size of the error depended on the difference between the X and Z endstop adjustments, which is quite large in your case.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 08, 2015 01:44PM
dc42
Sean, you might like to try my 1.09m-dc42 firmware. It corrects a bug whereby the Z=0 height was not quite correct after running G32. The size of the error depended on the difference between the X and Z endstop adjustments, which is quite large in your case.

Thanks! I may just do that. I'm reluctant to do very much, as I am trying to diagnose/fix my network connection or I will have to send my duet back. But in the meantime, what have I got to loose!
December 09, 2015 04:23PM
Sean.kennedy
dc42

Thanks! I may just do that. I'm reluctant to do very much, as I am trying to diagnose/fix my network connection or I will have to send my duet back. But in the meantime, what have I got to loose!

All done, works great! Still have no Web interface though.
December 10, 2015 11:55AM
I'm converging below 0.010.
That's with aluminium frame and rods though.
December 10, 2015 07:32PM
There are several things to always keep in mind with deviation

1) lower is not always better, its possible to cheat the deviation (accidental or deliberately) and get a very low deviation, yet have a crap calibration.
2) any figures quoted for deviation are meaningless without knowing what routine is being used.
3) know what is good enough, I think it was DC42 who proposed the idea that your deviation should be below 25% of your layer height, and from what I've seen this appears to be a good rule, I was able to get acceptable prints with 0.2mm layer height at deviation 0.07mm and very good prints when it dropped to 0.04.
4) the law of diminishing returns, once your deviation is low enough to give you good prints, any further work on reducing it is unlikely to deliver worthwhile results.
5) deviation is a guideline, the real indicator is prints quality with good dimensional accuracy, there are tricks that can give better deviation, but will give your larger prints distorted sides.
6) once you have got good prints then keep an eye on your deviation, if it changes for the better or worst then find out why (somethings probably broken or worked loose!)

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login