Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new effector and carraige

Posted by bgkdavis 
Re: new effector and carraige
January 12, 2016 05:17AM
What print setting did you use for the parts? Obviously you've not used a Fisher to print them but did you use a layer height of 0.1 or 0.2? I have two settings for slic3r, standard and fine and wondering which would be best for printing printer parts?
January 12, 2016 05:36AM
geeksarebeta
What print setting did you use for the parts? Obviously you've not used a Fisher to print them but did you use a layer height of 0.1 or 0.2? I have two settings for slic3r, standard and fine and wondering which would be best for printing printer parts?

Just examining the parts included in the kit, they all looked like they were 0.2 or 0.3, so i did mine in 0.2 and a nice slow speed.
January 12, 2016 05:54AM
Thanks for the advice on the speed of print, mine too look like they're 0.2 so will probably stick with that and modify the speed a little, when I am confident of getting the right level of accuracy.

Also, as promised I have evolved the original design of the new effector to suit the very different Fisher 1 design, please have a look at the attached picture and provide feedback, I'll hold off on uploading the model anywhere as I have a few kinks to iron out first. You'll see that I have changed the plain nuts to locking nuts on the inside of the parts as I am concerned that the plain nut will still allow the grub screw to unwind under vibration.
Attachments:
open | download - head_B.jpg (242.7 KB)
January 12, 2016 06:00AM
geeksarebeta
Thanks for the advice on the speed of print, mine too look like they're 0.2 so will probably stick with that and modify the speed a little, when I am confident of getting the right level of accuracy.

Also, as promised I have evolved the original design of the new effector to suit the very different Fisher 1 design, please have a look at the attached picture and provide feedback, I'll hold off on uploading the model anywhere as I have a few kinks to iron out first. You'll see that I have changed the plain nuts to locking nuts on the inside of the parts as I am concerned that the plain nut will still allow the grub screw to unwind under vibration.

ohhhh i want to try it!
January 14, 2016 09:51AM
bgkdavis
Took time to take a few pictures of the new parts, so far they are proving to be pretty successful. the 6/10 calibration returns 0.05 pretty reliably and I've been getting some great prints.

I've also added a power switch to my Fisher, got fed up with having to pull the plug to turn it off.

[attachment 62924 effector.png]

These pics show the assembly pretty clearly, the M3 nuts can be seen in the slots and the washers can just be made out between the nylocks and plastic

[attachment 62925 DSC_0301.JPG]
[attachment 62926 DSC_0304.JPG]

[attachment 62927 DSC_0295.jpg]

So i am about to put all this together. the thing is yours looks nothing like mine. My one looks like this (https://reprappro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/RRP-FISH1-064.jpg). Am i assuming i just ignore the holes on the effector and use the ones on your effector place that i just printed with the grub screws and and hardware i bought?

im still shopping for carbonfibre rods and ends.
January 14, 2016 10:16AM
Sean.kennedy
bgkdavis
Took time to take a few pictures of the new parts, so far they are proving to be pretty successful. the 6/10 calibration returns 0.05 pretty reliably and I've been getting some great prints.

I've also added a power switch to my Fisher, got fed up with having to pull the plug to turn it off.

These pics show the assembly pretty clearly, the M3 nuts can be seen in the slots and the washers can just be made out between the nylocks and plastic

So i am about to put all this together. the thing is yours looks nothing like mine. My one looks like this (https://reprappro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/RRP-FISH1-064.jpg). Am i assuming i just ignore the holes on the effector and use the ones on your effector place that i just printed with the grub screws and and hardware i bought?

For the rods I got my parts on ebay -
Rods - [www.ebay.co.uk]
Ends - [www.ebay.co.uk]

The ends come in packs of 10 which is a shame.
The rod I used was 3mm and would be available from a kite shop if you have one local to you.
January 14, 2016 10:49AM
DADIY
Sean.kennedy
bgkdavis

For the rods I got my parts on ebay -
Rods - [www.ebay.co.uk]
Ends - [www.ebay.co.uk]

The ends come in packs of 10 which is a shame.
The rod I used was 3mm and would be available from a kite shop if you have one local to you.

Cheers dude, i know there is a model shop in town, i will have to pay them a visit, otherwise i will ebay it.
January 14, 2016 10:51AM
So this is what i see doing so far, i hope its right.... looks a bit odd.

these are all the same item from different angles.
Attachments:
open | download - effector1.jpg (165.4 KB)
open | download - effector2.jpg (159.3 KB)
open | download - effector3.jpg (163.3 KB)
January 14, 2016 02:07PM
You seem to have a mixture of beta and Fisher 1 parts? Was that the intent.
January 14, 2016 05:25PM
I recommend 4mm carbon rods not 3mm, you do need to open the holes in the rod ends out, but 4mm hollow section rod is a lot stiffer than 3mm

My effector is a fisher beta, you have the fisher 1 effector, this is why I said the design I made need to be mashed up with the fisher 1 beta design, I really have not looked closely enough at the fisher 1 design to know how they differ, but I do like the all in one type design of the fisher 1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 05:29PM by bgkdavis.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
January 15, 2016 03:39AM
I have modelled a Fisher 1 effector with bgkdavis' boltig concept included but I have not tried to build it yet, I'm not sure how the big overhanging section on the middle will cope, will probably need support material. I think I might need to make a few changes. There's a post somewhere above with an image of it, if anyone wants to try printing it I can supply the STL file next week (I need my work computer to generate it).
January 15, 2016 06:59AM
bgkdavis
I recommend 4mm carbon rods not 3mm, you do need to open the holes in the rod ends out, but 4mm hollow section rod is a lot stiffer than 3mm

My effector is a fisher beta, you have the fisher 1 effector, this is why I said the design I made need to be mashed up with the fisher 1 beta design, I really have not looked closely enough at the fisher 1 design to know how they differ, but I do like the all in one type design of the fisher 1

Don't have a fisher but what is the size of the hole in those rod ends i.e. will they take an M3 Grubscrew if they will then how about using 5mm OD x 3mm ID carbon Tube screw the grub screw into the ends and then epoxy the assembly to the Carbon tube in the same way that we use for traxxas joints or Igus joints for that matter.

Doug
January 15, 2016 07:17AM
dougal1957
bgkdavis

Don't have a fisher but what is the size of the hole in those rod ends i.e. will they take an M3 Grubscrew if they will then how about using 5mm OD x 3mm ID carbon Tube screw the grub screw into the ends and then epoxy the assembly to the Carbon tube in the same way that we use for traxxas joints or Igus joints for that matter.

Doug

Sounds complicated, and when you bring a screw into the mix your adjustment is limited to half a pitch.....I prefer simplicity

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
January 15, 2016 08:48AM
bgkdavis
dougal1957
bgkdavis

Doug

Sounds complicated, and when you bring a screw into the mix your adjustment is limited to half a pitch.....I prefer simplicity

I didn't mean to allow for adjustment more to keep the full strength of the rod ends avoid drilling them out at all (Easy to run off centre if not careful) it would also allow you to unmount the end for re-use should you want to it would also be a little stiffer due to the tube being a little bigger as well. You would still assemble the rods in exactly the same way with a jig to get the lengths the same.

it may add marginally more weight at the effector end but not to much
January 15, 2016 04:45PM
Drilling is easy there is plenty of plastic in the ends body, and if you just usen the drill manually, ie just hold drill in chuck and manually turn the part, risk of running off centre is zero

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
April 06, 2016 11:31AM
My modified carriage (with the added space for lock-nuts inside) is now on Thingiverse:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1469961

For everyone to download. I will also upload a modified design for the effector with a similar arrangement of the adjustment balls when I have got a good working version that prints OK, my current one appears to have topo much overhang and too much support structure needed.
April 06, 2016 04:48PM
Good luck, Ive been running my original design for 6 months now and have found the inside locking nut isnt needed, using threaded rod will mean you lose the easy adjustability you get with a hex grub screw, and the longest grub screws avaialable to me were 25mm, which meant a locking nut on the inside wasnt practical, which is why I dropped it from my original concept.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
April 07, 2016 02:07PM
bgkdavis
Good luck, Ive been running my original design for 6 months now and have found the inside locking nut isnt needed, using threaded rod will mean you lose the easy adjustability you get with a hex grub screw, and the longest grub screws avaialable to me were 25mm, which meant a locking nut on the inside wasnt practical, which is why I dropped it from my original concept.

I got M3x20 hex socketed grub screws for the Internet in the UK. They work extremely well and just give me reassurance that there is no rotation translated through the balls into the internal nut that is working it lose. Both work the same way but the option is out there for the wider but slot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login