Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First printed project : Garden train Monorail

Posted by PRZ 
PRZ
First printed project : Garden train Monorail
July 21, 2015 06:59PM
For my first prints , I made a project of a garden train monorail.
Only the bogies are printed - All modelling done with OpenSCAD

It is going well, however, the finition does not looks very nice and I need to do some sanding and adding paint layers.
This is partly due to the fact I have done many tests during printing and the finition was somewhat bad for miscellaneous reasons. You could have a much better finition, however, it will take more time to print.
Layer of 0.2 gives a much better finition than 0.25
PLA have better finition than PETG, but is not an option for the motor bogie (temperature) and PETG is higly recommended for parts with long gussets.
Also, a better cleaning is required before painting.
I do not know if the acetone smoothing work with PETG but it is quite dangerous and I don't want to do that in my environment.

The photos -see directory 'printed parts' are there (I somewhat reorganised the 3D printing page):
[rouzeau.net]
and if you are interested about the modelling, this is here:
[rouzeau.net]

Regards, Pierre

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 08:44PM by PRZ.
Re: First printed project : Garden train Monorail
July 22, 2015 04:30AM
Nice!

Regarding smoothing, I don't think Acetone will work on PETG. It does work on ABS, but not on PLA (there are other chemicals for PLA, see [www.google.co.uk] ). I can't find any information on what may work with PETG - it seems like it is specifically designed to be inert! There may be something in the 'chemical recycling' part of this page: [en.wikipedia.org]
PETG hasn't yet taken off as a printing material for 3D printers, it seems. Maybe ask in this thread, which seems to have some good information: [forums.reprap.org]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 22, 2015 05:31AM
Maybe use a filler resin and then paint?
But if PET is like PLA ... do NOT SAND!!!!

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
July 22, 2015 06:12AM
I've been getting good results using XTC-3D for smoothing. It's a resin that you paint on that drys smoot. Quite frequently I find that 2 coats does really well. It doesn't chemically abrade the underlying material, but adds another layer on top, so you need to be aware when making mechanically making parts.

Bit expensive though when you include postage and what not from the only reseller in the UK.
July 22, 2015 07:49AM
You mean this: [www.techswap3d.be]

That expensive .... but if i think how much i pay for 1L of formulas resin .... it is still ok and will last a lot (I hope).

PRZ
July 22, 2015 07:59AM
Fpex, why not sanding on PLA ?

Whats works well on PETG is cutting with a sharp (new blade) cutter.

Regards, Pierre
July 22, 2015 08:08AM
Did you try to sand? Once you do, you will understand.
If you ask me, sanding PLA is to be avoided ... but if you really need, prepare yourself for a painful experience even worse than sanding not fully cured resin. Filling resin is easier and works better and in the end, it needs similar attention as sanding for mechanical/fitting parts.

July 22, 2015 08:23AM
Even with Postage it appears to be cheaper in the uk...

[www.benam.co.uk]
PRZ
July 22, 2015 09:05AM
I tried to sand PLA.
It is quite hard so the sanding is not very efficient. For this reason, for the angles I prefer to file or cut.
Angles tend a bit to delaminate in PLA.
My tolerances were too tight for some parts, so I had to cut the materials to improve clearances.

Also, there is something important that I did not initially noticed, the height of the parts are not constant, they depends from the layer parameters. I have parts made with the same file, but with different layer height, which have significant (for assembly) height difference. I understand the cause (that is logical, the total height shall be a multiple of the layer height), but that is not easy to manage. I was thinking that the slicer was somewhat managing reduced height for adjustement, but it seems Slic3R do not. Fine manual tuning of layer height ?
I also have doubts that the brim height may be added to the full height ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 09:06AM by PRZ.
July 22, 2015 01:25PM
matt.daubney
Even with Postage it appears to be cheaper in the uk...

[www.benam.co.uk]

Depends on the gbp/eur rate ... Very similar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login