Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ethernet connection

Posted by Jelle 
Ethernet connection
July 21, 2015 04:24PM
The ethernet connection is giving me some trouble: as-is I get no connection if I try to connect with my Ubuntu laptop. ifconfig only shows a ipv6 address, there is no name resolution for 'reprapprofisher'. How is that supposed to work anyhow. (btw I love how the doodle3D guys solved this: a server on their side registers 'I'm online' messages from the box, clients query the local ip for machines that register with the same external ip).
Anyway, I tried to solve this by setting my wired connection manually to 192.168.1.1 and putting the machine on 192.168.1.2. That works, but kills the rest of the net connection, apparently I get the wrong default route or gateway?
So what is the correct way to do this, how does it work?
Re: Ethernet connection
July 21, 2015 04:32PM
How do you have the Duet connected to your network? It's best to connect it direct to your router. If you want to connect it to a laptop, which is wirelessly connected to your router, then you need to bridge the network connections on the laptop. I know how to do this under Windows, but not under Linux,

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 22, 2015 04:48AM
The fisher is connected directly to my laptop. I cannot plug it into the router as it's all wireless. Adding a esp8266 is a bit too much for me, I just want it to work as intended. But how is it intended to work. The instructions only talk about what to do, not why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 04:48AM by Jelle.
July 22, 2015 05:49AM
Hi Jelle

Sorry you're having problems with the ethernet connection. Please be aware that the instructions are in a 'first draft' state, for a beta machine, so information will be added over time. While we try to monitor the forums, we would greatly appreciate feedback is sent directly to us, to support@reprappro.com

The Duet board only has an ethernet socket, not wifi. On the Fisher, it is set up by default to connect via DHCP to your router, when plugged in directly by ethernet cable, so should pick up an ip address from your router, and then broadcast it's name on your local network. If you can't connect to the Fisher by name, you can connect direct to the ip address; you'll probably have to check on your router to find it. The usual reason that you can't find it by name is that you are using an external DNS server in your PC's TCP/IP settings.

However, as your router does not have any ethernet sockets, you can connect the Fisher directly to your laptop's ethernet socket, setting up the Duet and laptop as a separate network. You said you had done this, but the wireless connection of your laptop was effected. I use Ubuntu 14.04 on my desktop PC, and have two ethernet ports; one I use to connect to the office network, and one I use to connect to Duets to test them. Network connections should be able to co-exist; most likely you used the same ip address range for the Duet/ethernet socket as your wifi, so it is getting confused! Check your network connections. I expect your wifi uses the 192.168.1.XXX range, which is what you set the ethernet port on your laptop, and the Duet to. You need to set the ethernet port and Duet to a DIFFERENT range, ie 192.168.0.XXX so it runs as a separate 'subnet'. Try setting your laptop ethernet port to 192.168.0.1 and the Duet to 192.168.0.2. Set the netmask to 255.255.255.0. Leave the router address as it is; if you're connecting by typing in the ip address, it isn't used.

There are a couple of other options. dc42 suggested bridging the network connection from the ethernet port to the wifi. This will present your laptop's ethernet port as if it was on the router, so the DHCP set up on the Fisher should work. Setting up network connection bridging is easier in Windows [windows.microsoft.com] , but is possible in Ubuntu; see: [help.ubuntu.com]

You could use a ethernet to wifi adaptor, eg [www.aliexpress.com] (there are plenty on ebay too) or see [blog.think3dprint3d.com] . These plug into the ethernet port of the Fisher, and create a wifi network for you to connect to. You can also set them up so they can connect to your wifi router, rather than having two separate networks.

Finally, you can connect to the USB port of the Fisher, and run prints from Pronterface. Instructions for doing this are in the commissioning instructions for our other Duet based printers. See: [reprappro.com]

Let me know if that helps.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 23, 2015 09:20AM
Hi Ian,

Sorry if my support questions are in the wrong place here, this seemed like the most efficient place to post them. I don't mind it's still in beta, I like to contribute!

As for more nitty-gritty: how does the printer anounce its name locally, does it use netbios or does it rely on the router to include dhcp hostnames in the dns?
If the IP in config.g is (per default) 0.0.0.0, does that mean it will do a dchp request and netbios(?) thing? Perhaps that is good to mention in config.g too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login