Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print 'stripey' like bad paint job, any ideas on why

Posted by charentejohn 
Print 'stripey' like bad paint job, any ideas on why
May 02, 2018 06:56AM
Just looking at a print coming off and noticed this, worse when printing as it dulls down a bit once it cools. Printed at 215c and strong, good adhesion, but I do keep getting this.
It is for model aircraft so not terrible but it would be nice to get a smoother finish but strong is preferred.
Previously at 205c I did get just an even striped finish (good for 0.2mm) and very even small stripes hardly noticable.

These are like bad paintwork, some dips and rises like it needs brushing out.
What would I alter to improve this ? I have played with retraction [forums.reprap.org] which may be another place to start but this has happened before but can't remember the settings.

This is the forum's prize for helping me with the previous problem, you get another.
Just a general idea of causes and I will change a few setting to see if it improves. I did get good results af 215c and 0.2mm but used 0.15mm this time, (0.4 nozzle) is that too much compression so some distortion ?
Attachments:
open | download - Stripeymodel.jpg (26.9 KB)
Re: Print 'stripey' like bad paint job, any ideas on why
May 02, 2018 08:52AM
The striping appear to be uniform, this comes from the lead screw connector's being off center. (It wobbles when it turns)
On my 3D Printer i wrapped a single layer of electricians tape around the lead screw before inserting into the coupler.
This allowed for a smoother turning radius.
Model surface imperfections can also occur if the XY Belts are not tight allowing for movement.
Re: Print 'stripey' like bad paint job, any ideas on why
May 02, 2018 09:48AM
Thanks, I have a CR-10 and the Z screw thread bar is free and not binding (it was but I fixed that) however on this the horizontal bar is supported by rollers either end.
The XY belts are ok just did them a day or so ago.
I will let it finish the current print and see what I have and then give it a good going over.
I like the CR-10's system as no double bars to check, but the rollers are a bit tricky to check and mostly a matter of touch. I will slacken them off and retighten, it is producing acceptable prints but was better, that points to things needed a reset as you suggest.
I should remember these things need maintenance, it has currently done about 150+ hours of printing since I bought it so deserves some tlc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login