Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to make my Wanhao I3 Heater Cartridge easily-detachable, can't figure out wire gauge for connectors

Posted by Cyber Akuma 
I have a very old model Wanhao i3 (Just barely not Version 1.0... closer to a Version 1.01 or so, definitely not V2 or later) which I have been doing several modifications to (a few of which were mandatory for safety reasons that were fixed in later models), and I have wound up needing to replace the heater cartridge. Since the Wanhao i3 uses a somewhat less common 6.35mm (or rather, 1/4"... odd since the rest of the printer is metric) heater cartridge instead of the more common 6mm variant, I used Uncle Chuck's store to purchase one as that site specializes in Wanhao i3 parts.

I used the slightly aftermarket one that was listed as being "better" than the stock design, named "UC3DPS Fill 1/4" Heating Tube 12V" with the model number "Ixx - CHT - 1240 - 250" listed here:
[www.unclechucks3dprinterstuff.com]

Removing my old one was a complete and total pain, since it was around 6+ feet/2+ meters of wiring going through all sorts of cable chains, cable wraps, and zip-ties. I don't want to have to deal with that again (and neither does my back) if I ever need to replace it again in the future, so I wanted to figure out a way to make it easily removable as it's the only part of my entire extruder that is not easily detachable or uses a connector.

After discussing with multiple people about the best kind of connector to use, I found out that the best way to go about it would be to use crimping connectors since solder would be a bad idea near components that could heat up, and also due to heat I was recommended to use connectors made of nylon. The best fit seemed to be Nylon "Quick Disconnects" (or sometimes called "Spade" connectors) like these:
[i.imgur.com]

However, I ran into the issue that the smallest wire gauge these support is 22AWG, and I wanted to make sure that the wiring in the Heater Cartridge was thick enough to use a crimp connector. When I looked at the connector itself however, I was very confused. The wire itself is thicker than my old heater cartridge's.... but the actual copper inside is significantly thinner, the wire is mostly insulation. I am very unfamiliar with this type of wire, though I was told it was apparently "High Voltage" wire... but I don't understand how reducing the amount of actual wire and adding insulation allows for better high voltage applications.

I know this isn't the best example to use, but I am not sure how else to try to show what kind of gauge I am trying to work with, so here are some images I tried to take of the end of wire:
[i.imgur.com]
[i.imgur.com]

As well as it compared to my previous heater cartridge:
[i.imgur.com]
[i.imgur.com]
[i.imgur.com]

Does anyone have any idea how I can find out what type of gauge this wire is? And beyond that, if it would even be possible to use those Quick Disconnects 22AWG crimps I mentioned? If not, any idea what I can try so I can use those crimps or any others that don't require soldering and can handle high temperatures?

Also, I was tying to figure out what brand of connectors to use since I don't really work with these much and have no idea which ones were good... and I saw many complaints in just about every one I saw on Amazon about the crimps failing. I understand user reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, though some of them mentioned that they had a lot of experience in working with electronics and crimping wires. Regardless, I have no idea how to find any actual information on what brand or types of crimps would be any good, if there is even such a thing and they all aren't pretty much the same.

Basically, any ideas on what would be the best way to make this Heater Cartridge go from being a single wire to having connectors that I can easily connect/disconnect in the future? And what brand or where to buy good quality ones?
UPDATE: I got a reply back from the person I bought the Heater Cartridge from, they said that the wire is 28 AWG.

That's a LOT smaller than I was expecting, any suggestions what kind of crimps or other connectors I can use for such a wire?
Cyber Akuma
UPDATE: I got a reply back from the person I bought the Heater Cartridge from, they said that the wire is 28 AWG.

That's a LOT smaller than I was expecting, any suggestions what kind of crimps or other connectors I can use for such a wire?

What size is that 28 AWG ??? Even worse than the fractional inch smiling smiley

Wire diam is in tenth of mm, so easy to measure. Note for main power, it is given in mm² 1.5mm² for 10A 2.5mm² for 20A. It is usually indicated on the crimping tool.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
Strip the wire longer, bend it tightly 180 degrees and insert in crimp connector. It is all about filling the connector barrel not about the shape of the wire.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login