Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3, how to end a print?

Posted by dlc60 
Prusa i3, how to end a print?
January 19, 2018 05:24PM
I recently built an Anet A8 Prusa i3 kit, and it prints brilliantly, but I have a question.
I am used to delta printers where at the end of the print I simply "home the head and all is fine. Or open frame Cartesian ones I drop the bed to Z max to get easy access to the print.
On these Prusa printers that may not be the best thing to do since homing the head (G28) may cause the horizontal rods on the head gantry to smack into a tall print that goes all the way to the front of the build plate.

Do you find this is the case? I would think that the best solution is to raise the gantry to Z max and send the bed all the way to the front of the printer for easy access to the print.

What is the common wisdom here?

Thanks,
DLC
Re: Prusa i3, how to end a print?
January 20, 2018 02:44AM
I've set up my Prusa with the origin being the rear right corner. That way, I can move the bed to the front and be ready for the next homing. I don't lift Z to the max, since it would take ages to move it all the way down when homing.
January 20, 2018 06:56AM
In the slicers end code you could put a G1 move to the rear left of the bed

G1 X0 Y200

or
G91 ;relative mode
G1 Z5 ;raise Z above print
G90 ;absolute mode
G1 X0 Y200 ;move extruder to rear left
January 20, 2018 03:51PM
At the end, I move the print head to the home position; Z 0 too, in order to have the still hot nozzle rest on a piece of PTFE that will prevent formation of a filament blob that would disturb the Z homing sensor. It is the nozzle touching the bed that determine the Z0. No adjustment necessary.
Of course, not applicable if the part is such that collision will occur when Z homing smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
January 23, 2018 02:11AM
obewan
In the slicers end code you could put a G1 move to the rear left of the bed

G1 X0 Y200

or
G91 ;relative mode
G1 Z5 ;raise Z above print
G90 ;absolute mode
G1 X0 Y200 ;move extruder to rear left

This sounded like a good idea, so I implemented it. Yup. It does just what I want it to do - Get the print head out of the path and present the print to me "front and center". I am green to gcode and was looking for a starting point. Your change between relative and absolute is exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanks,
DLC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login