Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer Works in Jog but not Printer Mode

Posted by Alex2016 
Printer Works in Jog but not Printer Mode
August 05, 2017 09:26AM
Hi all, So I have finished building my I3 mega and she is a beauty. I have been going through axis by axis to make sure that all the pieces move. And in Jog command window they do. So everything worked nicely, a little slow but I expected that for the size of the printer, then I went to try the test cube print and all I here are the stepper motors wining as if they are trying to move but don't want to. I am confused though since it worked in the Jog window but not in print mode. I am using the Marlin firmware. Thanks for the help, I apologize if this is a noob question but this is my first build and I had to go big.
Re: Printer Works in Jog but not Printer Mode
August 05, 2017 10:12PM
your gcode is trying to move the motors to fast, jog is much slower (uses the feed rate of your control software)

ideally you should set the max feed rates in your firmware to the max the machine can handle, then no matter what stilly gcode is sent it will be limited to the max of the machine.

ie

* Default Max Feed Rate (mm/s)
* Override with M203
* X, Y, Z, E0 [, E1[, E2[, E3[, E4]]]]
*/
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE { 300, 300, 5, 25 }

most machines for eg cant do 5mm/s on Z and this should be 2 or 3.

You should also similarly change the X and Y to fit your machine

to work out your max just try some gcodes eg G1 X100 f2000 where f is in mm/min so divide by 60 for mm/s
when you find the limits of the machine set these in firmware.

more info on G1 [reprap.org]
Re: Printer Works in Jog but not Printer Mode
August 06, 2017 12:53PM
AH thank you I will give this a shot. I don't know why I skipped over this when setting up my firmware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login