Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PrusaI3 - Rumba board - step motors problem

Posted by DKLeader 
PrusaI3 - Rumba board - step motors problem
July 16, 2017 08:53AM
Hi

I decided to upgrade my Hictop Prusa I3 with a Diamond Hotend and because of this also a new board.
Ended up with a Rumba board and a "Full Graphic Smart Controller"
I have used this guide : http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA

I have finally got to the point where I wanted to test the new setup.
Ran into different problems (and still have one) done the road.
I will list all the problems including how I solved it (except the last one as this is my open problem)

1) Even after changing in Marlin code to use the smart controller I did not get anything on the screen. After searching some time on Google I found that a few of these have EXP1 and EXP2 printed wrongly and therefore EXP1 on Rumba should be connected to EXP2 on the smart controller.

2) Fans - connected 2 fans and none would run (manually or automatically). This was caused by the jumpers missing for the selection of 12v (Rumba supply) or supply from PSU. As my PSU and fans are 24 Volts this was solved once the 2 jumpers were placed. Happy that I have saved jumpers from old computers / electronics.

3) In the search for a solution to my problem (in below item 4) I found out that the pictures / drawings on various support sides are not to be trusted especially with the cables. Also that suppliers of cables do not use the same color sequence.
On the original cables I have they are black-green-red-blue and on the ones I got with the Diamond Hotend they are black-red-green-blue.
Looking at this : http://www.reprap.org/mediawiki/images/f/fe/RRD-RUMBA_MOTOR_SCREWT.JPG
1B - Black
1A - Green
2A - Red
2B - Blue
And this was how I connected all my step motors - I did not notice at that point the cables I have are not the same.
During my recent search I found on the same wiki this : http://www.reprap.org/wiki/File:Rumba_wiring.svg
1B - Red
1A - Blue
2A - Green
2B - Black

4) Steppers /step motors - this is where my problems starts. They do not react to any commands - I have tried "auto home" on the smart controller.
I also have tried from OctoPi (can control fans and temp without problems) and can see that in the display that commands are being received as the value changes.

I have attached a few pictures from my setup.
Could the steppers have been damaged from wrong connections ref 3)?
I have not tried to adjust on the steppers.
Have I missed anything in the Marlin code?

Best Regards
Jakob
Re: PrusaI3 - Rumba board - step motors problem
July 16, 2017 06:35PM
You answered your own question in your post.

DKLeader
pictures / drawings on various support sides are not to be trusted especially with the cables. Also that suppliers of cables do not use the same color sequence.

Yet you still used pictures to hook up the motors. No harm done, with steppers you want to make sure the coils are paired or it wont work. How do you know the coil pairs if you cant trust the cable colours, well the wiki has some good information (link: [reprap.org])
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login