Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 install on Anet A8

Posted by chucketn 
Ramps 1.4 install on Anet A8
July 04, 2017 03:42PM
I am converting my Anet A8 to Ramps 1.4 because I broke the original control board(blew the Extruder Stepper driver). I used an external Mosfet on the A8 for the heat bed. Can/should I use the external mosfet with Ramps? The small wires of the mosfet connect to D8, as they connected to the bed output on the original control board, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 03:43PM by chucketn.
Re: Ramps 1.4 install on Anet A8
July 05, 2017 07:02AM
The control io wires go to D8 yes,
July 05, 2017 11:28AM
I need help!
Installed Ramps Board. Checked , re-checked, and re-checked connections. Plugged usb cable and display lit up. Turned on power supply and bang! X axis Stepper driver chip started glowing and the buzzer on the display started screaming! Shut every thing off and walked away to regain my composure.
After calming down and getting my heart started, I disassembled everything, removed the power supply, and started inspecting and troubleshooting. Power supply checks good.
Connected Arduino Mega to usb and get the 2 red lights as before. Uploaded 'Blinky' and that worked. I know that is not much of a test, but will reload Ramps firmware later.
Visual inspection of Ramps board shows burn mark above 4th pin down on left side of SMT chip on DRV8825 of X axis driver. No other visible damage. Continuity check of the 2 fuses by power socket reads low ohms.
Did I luck out and just loose the x axis driver, or is there something else to test?
What did I do wrong?

Chuck
July 05, 2017 07:25PM
Sounds like you have a short somewhere, if there are burn marks on the board then I dont have high hopes for it working again.

Few things to test for, with the burn marks above pin 4 your short might be in this area. Also you may have installed the DRV8825's backwards, easy to do as they have a different layout to the common A4988's, look at the pin outs and make sure you line ground up with the right pin.
July 05, 2017 08:11PM
Drivers cheap. Buy extras. There are worse things to burn up.

I get extras on the slow boat from china.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login