Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anet A8 new build - Y Axis reversed

Posted by BrianRosenthal 
Anet A8 new build - Y Axis reversed
June 19, 2017 09:26PM
As a Father's day gift, my wife and daughter bought me an Anet A8 kit, so Sunday my daughter and I assembled it and were able to do our first test print. To do a good check out, we printed iDig3Dprinting's test cube:

[www.thingiverse.com]

The print worked reasonably well for a first print, although I can see I have some more improvements to make. The problem lies with the Y axis. On my cube the Y label is toward the back of the printer, and the Z label is reversed. This seems to indicate the the Y axis is reversed - except it homes correctly. I can't figure out what I could have done wrong that would have resulted in this behavior, or what configuration settings might fix it.

Right now, everything is stock, and I used the shipped configuration file for Cura.

The only solutions I can think of are either mirroring it in Cura, or flipping the stepper and moving the home switch to the front, neither of which seems like it should be necessary.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Re: Anet A8 new build - Y Axis reversed
June 19, 2017 10:06PM
Mirrored prints are usually an issue with the homing position.

When the printer is homed and looking at it from the front (for reference) the X axis should be all the way to the left, and the Y axis (print bed) should be all the way to the rear of the printer meaning the hotend should be on the front left corner of the print bed.
June 19, 2017 11:08PM
If the Y label is at the back and you didn't the rotate the model you have you X and Y switched

Easy to test just manually tell the printer to move X and see what moves. If the head moves left/right its good. If the bed moves front to back, you have X and Y (and the endstops of it wouldn't home) swapped over.
June 20, 2017 08:22AM
Y axis homing switch fitted at the rear of the printer is a 'Y min' homing position, make sure you have your slicer etc set up as y min homing
June 20, 2017 08:42AM
Dust
If the Y label is at the back and you didn't the rotate the model you have you X and Y switched .

And we have a winner!

I managed to incorrectly install both the X Axis Stepper and Home switch on the rear plate, so everything appeared to home correctly. So I'll swap those tonight, tighten my Y belt and try another cube.

Thanks everyone for helping!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login