Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder upgrade on Geeetech Prusa I3 Pro B ?

Posted by Gumbo 
Extruder upgrade on Geeetech Prusa I3 Pro B ?
May 31, 2017 09:03AM
I have this Geeetech Prusa I3 Pro B since a few months.
Overall I am happy about the machine since it did its job this far.
It required the usual modifications to the Z carriage to fix Z-axis artifact, and I had to repair the pin that keeps the bearing pushing the filament against the motor wheel, other than that I can't complain about the machine, and print quality.
I have used about half a roll of PLA since I got it, so I am not a "serial printer", basically I print parts I design when I need them.

Now it seems like I am running into under extrusion issues with the MK8 extruder it came with from the factory, with a 0.3 tip.
Finally I removed the tip, cleaned it thouroughly as suggested in various videos, including running a 0.3 piece of wire (I used a lenght of 0.3 kantal wire from my ecig stock) into the tip to remove any obstructions.
It printed fine for an hour or two and then it went back to inconsistent extrusion.
The printer is equipped with a 60mm blower fan for cooling the filament. It is fitted to a nozzle to keep the airflow away from the tip, however although it helps print quality it seems to have an influence on underextrusion. I print at 220° and 75° when the fan is on and 210°-65° in prints which do not require cooling.

I have read many Prusa I3 users advice upgrading to the E3DV6 hot end.
I am not sure this is the best solution for me at this time, as I print only PLA (this far) and don't plan to set up a bowden feeder.
As I said previously I didnt have problems for about half a roll so maybe it's just time to replace the (brass) tip ?
What if I upgrade to a larger, say 0.4 tip instead of 0.3 ? Would it help with underextrusion ? Maybe a better quality tip like the Micro Swiss ? (not even sure it exists for the MK8 though).

I am aware the E3DV6 is a better extruder, but I'd rather avoid wasting a lot of time in modifications if I can solve my problems just by replacing the tip.

Should I decide to install an E3Dv6 onto the current direct extruder (there are printable brackets for it on thingyverse), do i have to edit the firmware as well ? My machine comes with a GT2560 board.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.
Re: Extruder upgrade on Geeetech Prusa I3 Pro B ?
June 15, 2017 12:09PM
I have an i3 prusa reprap kit, the hotend and motor setup it came with wasn't bad never any issues. I recently upgraded to a bowden e3d hotend setup and I can day from the first print my prints we're finer more smooth walls more precise. Both .4 mm hotend nozzles. That's just what I've seen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login