Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hictop 3DP-20 (Creality CR-10 3D printer in sheeps clothing?)

Posted by Waltermixx 
Hictop 3DP-20 (Creality CR-10 3D printer in sheeps clothing?)
May 28, 2017 05:41PM
Hi there, I've been away a while, happily printing on my Folgertech Prusa i3 Acrylic 3D printing, and I've gotten the bug to buy and build something larger... smiling smiley
I saw the Creality CR-10 watched all the video's and thought this is a good one... Because I'm in Canada and the exchange rate sucks, I will end up paying
$518.00 for the printer + 256.00 shipping (price and shipping costs fluctuate, when the printer price goes down the shipping price goes up. If the printer price goes back up,
then the shipping goes down... all in all it will be about $778.50 roughly to have it shipped to me in Canada. So I decided against it. smiling smiley

Then I noticed a Hictop 3DP-20 printer, identical to the Creality CR-10, the stepper motor is even labeled with a creality sticker...
the cost of this printer is $671.00 canadian including delivery within two weeks...
Bonus I'm thinking, even if i have to pay duty on it, it will still be cheaper...( I hope )
so I may pull the trigger on this one this evening...

there are two ebayer's selling it... I think i will log my experience here with both the seller, and the build, much like I did with my folgertech i3 acrylic printer.
there is a youtube video on this printer from the Geek Seek guys. a good video and review. Hoping to see more video's on it. smiling smiley
I may post a few of my own. smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com] Geek Seek

[www.youtube.com] Hictop 3DP-20 construction video

Wish me luck smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2017 05:58PM by Waltermixx.
Re: Hictop 3DP-20 (Creality CR-10 3D printer in sheeps clothing?)
May 28, 2017 05:56PM
Ok Pulled the trigger on this one, here is where I purchased it from:

[www.ebay.com]

I don't know these folks, but they seemed friendly, they responded to my inquiries about shipping almost right away.

Fingers crossed. smiling smiley
June 03, 2017 10:39PM
Hello. I noticed that you have the same Folgertech printer I have and was wondering which version of Arduino/Marlin/RepetierHost you are currently using. My old computer was stolen and I'm having to recreate my set up. I've been out of the country for about 6 months and would like to get back to printing. I'm using Windows 7 (another old computer) and have a 2004 LCD screen. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Good luck with your new machine, I'm curious about the CR 10, but I live in the States, so they are a bit cheaper down here.....truck died.....new printer purchase currently on hold. Ciao!
June 10, 2017 11:18PM
My files for the folgertech are posted in the thread.
I am not sure I have them on my computer anymore so I'll have a look in the thread.

:0)

My Hictop CR-10 arrived on Wednesday, built in about 20 Minutes or so.

First print and prints since have gone well.
June 12, 2017 12:19PM
Heard about the HICTOP CR-10 3D Printer Prusa I3 DIY Kit or 3DP-20, Print build 300x300x400.

The first thing I noticed was the Controller and Extruder assembly were inside a metal shield. This is good for EFI protection which the other Hictop models desperately Need.

After reading the assembly instructions was not impressed, it was by far the easiest DIY Printer to assembly but somehow lacking.
The HICTOP 3DP-20 3D Printer Prusa I3 DIY Kit is a good buy.

Scanned YouTube for the 3DP20 and found, they did not mention in the assembly instructions that you could tighten the bed Plate. They have an off center hole inside a support nut that when turned will adjust the tension of the bed plate. This can allow for an off center Bed if care is not taken. More importantly this will put undue stress on a fragile bed plate, tighten to just snug “DO NOT OVER STRESS“.

Read my other Post about EFI Shield for Hictop Controller boards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 08:27PM by Roberts_Clif.
June 20, 2017 09:01PM
Thanks for your post, I made sure all my moving parts were smooth moving, and did not rock... i had to make very slight adjustments to the eccentric nuts...
and she is pretty much rock solid. smiling smiley

Blue Painters tape wiped with rubbing alcohol is by far the best approach to get things to stick to the bed, but i moved on to hairspray on glass as well.
I'm currently printing a list of upgrades for the printer, namely the stress relief for the heat bed wiring, larger knobs for bed leveling, and a filament guide.

this will be my longest print yet at 5 hours... hopefully nothing will come off the glass... smiling smiley

Cheers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login