Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

upgrade or print stuff?

Posted by SteveRoy 
upgrade or print stuff?
May 14, 2017 10:11PM
I like to build my Prusa i3's from scratch using quality components vs buying a cheap kit- the advantage is I don't have to build it twice, once with the supplied parts and then later the upgrades needed to get decent prints. I am going to a fishing get together in a couple of weeks and spent a few (many) hours printing articulated fish and fly reels as door prizes.
I printed everything pictured (and more) plus a 13 piece "kryptex" that took around 17 hours - I didn't check the bed for level once. I turned the printer on, pre-heated via the LCD board, loaded filament and started printing. I changed filament colour and started printing again. I printed everything over a few nights for a couple of weeks.

It shows that with a properly built i3 doesn't need "auto-level"
The printer I used is the same build as my Instructable, except this one has a plywood frame.
[www.instructables.com]

So you want to upgrade or print stuff?

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Re: upgrade or print stuff?
May 15, 2017 03:42AM
I vote for "upgrade", because it helps you through the learning curve.

" Give a man a fish and he isn't hungry for a day. Teach a man fishing and he's never hungry again"
May 15, 2017 10:28AM
I went through the same learning curve - there was no manual or instructions and I sourced the parts from different vendors.
May 16, 2017 12:42AM
I've got a mendel I'm upgrading to a graber I3 and rebuilding it teaches you so much that I'm also building a cnc router as well which I would not have the confidence for if I hadn't rebuilt the printer.

Coming with no instructions makes it that much more fun working out how everything fits together winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login