Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just getting Started

Posted by Boltazar 
Just getting Started
April 25, 2017 03:35PM
I just took my assembled I3 out of the box. I have more questions than I can see. When I plug in the printer to my laptop what program should I see the workings of the printer in? Instead of using the screen on the printer to scroll through isn,t there a program I can use to set it up with? Shouldn't I be able to see whats on the SD card, I'm not sure what program does that. Calabration self test is OK but when I run the Z calabrate the nozzle hits the bed at all 9 points. The 4th point pushes the bed down an 1/8 of an inch and I'm sure throws off the Z test because the Z test never goes to the top or high point evenly. I'll stop here. I hate to be the newbee with a million questions, but I am..
Re: Just getting Started
April 25, 2017 09:55PM
I would say put the SD card into your computer. There you should find a PDF with instructions and software to use (most likely pronterface). There might even be some .STL files or gcode files of parts to print and If you are lucky you will also a a copy of the firmware.
April 26, 2017 12:27AM
Boltazar
I hate to be the newbee with a million questions, but I am..

We all were.
But remember, the quality of your answers received will, in part, be based upon the quality of the questions you ask.

For example: What 'assembled i3' are you asking us questions about? When I google 'assembled i3' I get a bunch pages about Intel microprocessors.
April 26, 2017 03:19AM
Take a look at pronterface
April 26, 2017 06:51AM
There are a number of free printer frontend programs, Repetier host, Mattercontrol, pronterface, cura, slic3r 1.3.
Personally i prefer Repetier as i like the i like the interface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 06:53AM by obewan.
April 26, 2017 11:22AM
Thanks for helping me out. I was able to open the files on the SD card with pronterface but not slic3r 1.3 .

Next delima; The printer i purchased is an original Prusa i3 MK2S. It came assembled and had their printed logo on the bed along with a printed paper slip showing test protocol results. Somthing told me to run the calibration tests from the LCD panel. The self test passed but I could see that the nozzel touched the bed at the first of the 9 points it tests. The calibrate Z test touched the bed slightly at the 1, 2 and 3 points, at point 4 it pushed the bed down 1/8". At point 5 it pushed the bed a bit less but more than 1,2, and 3. Point 6 and 7 was as 1,2, and 3. Point 8 and 9 were as point 4, 1/8". This can't be normal. I sent an e-mail to info @ prusa and I'm waiting a reply. From what I can gather the instructions tell me to lower the PINDA probe a bit? I'll await your responces. Thx B
April 26, 2017 07:48PM
There are full manuals online for this printer

check out Original_Prusa_i3_MK2S_kit_assembly [manual.prusa3d.com]
user manual [www.prusa3d.com]
April 26, 2017 09:32PM
Thanks, I downloaded the assembly manual and have the user manual. I just thought it was odd that the machine had a print on the plate and it wasn't setup to print.
April 28, 2017 12:14PM
Thanks for the help guys. I adjusted the probe height now its calibrated. On to g code calibration and printing. I'm sure I'll be BACK
July 30, 2017 01:10PM
Thanks for the replys guys, much appreciated. I bought this printer to make a number of prototypes I've thought of over the years. I've sucessfully printed out the tree frog, whisel and bottel opener. Now to my stuff. I'm using black ABS this time nosil temp 250 bed temp 75 and not only does it not stick to the bed, it dosent attach to the last run of filament. I'm getting non adhered filament in the basic shape I want but its just spigitti. I'm using slic3r to slice my Solid Works cad models and then I load the file to the SD card. I think my problem is in the settings. Why wouldn't one run of filament not stick to the last. Is the extruded width to small or can it be being placed to far from the last run?
July 30, 2017 11:57PM
temperatures seem low

ABS

Nozzle temperature: 255 °C
Bed temperature: 90 – 105 °C (Bigger object bigger temp.)
Surface preparation: Make sure the surface is clean.

from [www.prusa3d.com]
July 31, 2017 12:44PM
Thanks. I'm also thinking of raising the bed sensor. Extruded filament is very round, not flattened at all. I'll raise temps first. Thx P
July 31, 2017 09:10PM
I have downloaded the Slic3r program, the Prusaslic3r program and the pronterface slicer but neither show up on my computer when I try to open what should be a gcode file.

Every other program I've ever downloaded sets up a shortcut and is brought up when a file type is tried to "open with" My SD card isn't recognized by either slicer programs.
Thx
August 20, 2017 07:32PM
I'm up and running with PLA. I've made a few widgets in PLA and a few parts of my own with ABS.

As what is probably normal, ABS parts come off the bed and warp.

Has anyone found the bed temps to vary in different quadrants. My long parts cover the quadrants 3 and 1.

Maybe some juice is needed or the stick from Prusa. Comments appreciated

With one of my parts the 1 st layer covers an area that's 1" X 10". Shouldn't the first layer appear smooth and flat like it was all poured in as one sheet? with ABS its all lines barely holding on to each other. Again comments would be appreciated. I'll be in the archives. Thx
August 20, 2017 07:44PM
My Prusa i3 MK2 lays a wide first thread at the front of the heat plate before laying the parts first outer perimeter. The thread at the front left hand side of the heat bed is MUCH wider than all the other lines laid for any parts. Did I say that rite? Why?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login