Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading my Mendel to a Graber i3

Posted by Desertboy 
Upgrading my Mendel to a Graber i3
April 11, 2017 11:46AM
Hi I've had a mendel for a few years never got it to work very well then didn't touch it for years but I needed it to do a job so dusted it off and got it to print a few cogs but then everything went to hell. Hot end failed, belts snapped, one of the nema 17's failed on the z axis.

It was just getting so frustrated with it so I finally bit the bullet and bought a laser cut i3 graber frame kit
[www.ebay.co.uk]

I need advice on which extruder to fit to this? I have this on the mendel

can I somehow fit it to the Graber? Or if not which one should I print I have 3mm filament and an e3d clone hotend with fan.

For upgrading the mendel further I also bought 2 of these for the z axis as with my mendel I had constant problems with the nuts driving the z axis coming out the housing and one axis stopped working.
[www.ebay.co.uk]
The graber has a 5mm threaded bar drive so will need to enlarge the holes on the z axis for the 8mm drive of the lead screws.

I intend to cut the smooth rods from the mendel down to fit the Graber to save money as reuse my bearings, etc.

To fix the bad motor I bought 2 nema 17's
[www.ebay.co.uk]
44Ncm is that enough torque? For the prusa I googled the original motor I'm replacing and they have same torque rating.

I have ordered both a capacitive and inductive sensor from China so will add autolevelling ordered both as super cheap it will give me options but probably get the mk3 heated bed and print directly onto the aluminium side. At moment will use optical endstop for z axis and traditional levelling.

I intend to put both new motors on the axis so I have a matched pair.

Has anyone got a link to a Graber build would be nice to see one I need to work out how I sort the extruder, I have this on my reprap can I get it to work with the Graber?

When I take the mendel I can't print anything it's a pain in the bum having to strip the mendel to build to Graber but unless I can find decent smooth rod super cheap in UK (Not paying £25) I will need to butcher the mendel. At moment Mendel doesn't print but hopefully can sort that.

Later I hope to upgrade to 2 bowden's extruders but everything cheap on ebay is 1.75mm and I use 3mm (Got 8kg's of it) will go direct drive for now unless I find a cheap 3mm bowden. I have no interest in different colours but I might be in support materials.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2017 12:50PM by Desertboy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login