Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with Prusa threaded rod calculator z-axis steps

Posted by Max3Dcal 
Help with Prusa threaded rod calculator z-axis steps
April 09, 2017 05:02PM
Hello!

I've been setting up Marlin for a MK2 clone I'm working on. In configuration.h I need to set the steps for my z axis. I'm using a T8 acme rod. I believe it is T8 2 8. I can't seem to find that as an option on the pull down. It shows an M8 but that is a regular threaded rod. Not the same pitch as a T8?

Stainless Steel
Diameter: 8 mm
Thread pitch: 2 mm
Helical pitch: 8 mm
Length: 300mm

Anyone know the correct steps to put in Marlin?

Thanks

Max:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2017 05:04PM by Max3Dcal.
Re: Help with Prusa threaded rod calculator z-axis steps
April 09, 2017 05:50PM
With lead screws it all depends on the number of starts you have. A start is a parallel thread that helps with stability but also means the feedrate needs to be increased. So to get the pitch for the feedrate calculate you need to multiply the thread pitch by the number of starts (2,3 or 4). most leadscrews for 3d printing I've seen have been 2 or 4 but if you are unsure go back to the place you got it (or read the online description) and it will tell you.

As for the online calculate there is a box to the left of the drop down that lets you enter your own pitch
April 09, 2017 06:01PM
OKay then, I listed it above thread pitch 2mm, so that is all I need to know? I thought starts related to how much torque.
April 09, 2017 08:04PM
You will need to know the starts as well and multiply the pitch to get the lead

[en.wikipedia.org]

And yes starts are loosely related to torque
April 10, 2017 04:18AM
You can tell how many starts the rod has by looking at the rod end and counting how many thread ends there are.
If it has 4 ends (most common theses days) then your steps/mm=400 @1/16 microstepping

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 04:18AM by obewan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login