Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for some help: MK2 DIY build

Posted by Max3Dcal 
Looking for some help: MK2 DIY build
April 09, 2017 04:45PM
Hello Guys!

My name is Max. I’m 15 years old, I’m hoping to find someone here to help me out. I’ve wanted a 3D printer for as long as I can remember. I’ve saved my money the last 6 months and have slowly gotten all (most) of the parts together to build my very own Prusa MK2 clone. I have been following Tom3D on youtube who has a series on building a cheap MK2 clone.

I’m waiting on my rods, I should have any day now and can’t wait to get to building it. I even already have Marlin set-up on my Ramps 1.4

The problem I have is I don’t have access to a 3D printer to make the Prusa plastic parts. Believe it or not, my High school does not have a 3D printer. They are more focused on auto repair and woodshop. I even thought about just making the parts out of wood, but I think it would just make everything harder to calibrate, and I’d give up.

So, I was wondering if there was anyone here in the forum, that could print the parts for me to finally get printing? I have all the STL files from Tom3D. He changed a couple parts to make this easier to build. But really just a standard Prusa MK2. He recommends ABS, but I’m not picky. And I don’t care about color either. I just want to print.

My mother doesn’t make alot of money, so I wouldn’t ask her, I saved up and slowly got all the parts myself.

So, if there is anyone on here that may be willing to give me a hand in getting into 3D printing please PM me here. I’ve also been learning Fusion 360, and can’t wait to actually design something and see it print out!!! I have all kinds of ideas I want to try to design.

I'm on California, and I can send a prepaid postage label if that helps.

Thanks so much!

Max:-)

My stuff:-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 01:57AM by Max3Dcal.
Re: Looking for some help: MK2 DIY build
April 09, 2017 09:47PM
Are there any Makerspaces where you live?
I have printed sets of Prusa i3 rework parts for members of my local Hack/Makerspace

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
April 09, 2017 10:48PM
[www.3dhubs.com]

I'm assuming you are a student. That is for College students, but I'm sure you could look into HighSchool student discounts.

Also, Ebay usually has someone selling a set for cheap <$50.

Worst case scenario; mow some lawns, or move some dirt for a day and you'll have plenty of extra money for a set of plastic parts from someone selling them. When I was your age I was bussing tables after school. Did it suck? Mostly. Was it nice to have extra money? Yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2017 10:49PM by VonRansak.
April 09, 2017 10:51PM
Whenever I've done a free set of parts for an i3 I've always asked the recipient to print a set of free parts for someone else - kind of like a "pay it forward"

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
April 10, 2017 12:40AM
What country are you in?

Id happy print you some parts but being in Australia international postage is not cheap.

By saying what country you are in I'm sure you will find someone here to print some parts for you, even a basic set to get you going
April 10, 2017 02:09AM
Thanks Scotty, but I'm on the US. But I do appreciate your offer.

Steve, Yes, I'd be happy to pay it forward. I checked out your instructable link. Nice. I could send a prepaid postage label as well.

Here is my progress. There is a Makerspace 35 miles from here but it costs $100 to join. And I have never printed anything before.

I had a guy around here who was eager to help me about 6 months ago, but the last couple times I contacted him, he kind of blew me off.

I think I will have my smooth rods, bearings, come in this week. Then I will have all but the plastic parts ready. I'm making the frame out of MDF. Which I will work on tomorrow.

Thanks gang!

Max
April 13, 2017 11:34PM
All I'm saying is for less than most postage, you can get a kit shipped to you. You'd have to mow the lawns of perhaps 3 people to come up with $30 (3 x $15 - $15 expenses), either way just a half-day's labor. 3Dprinting isn't just about self-sufficiency, it's also about making use of the products and byproducts of the greater economy, with greater efficiency.

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 11:37PM by VonRansak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login