Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 - Hot End PID Autotune Fail - Timeout

Posted by Vgala9 
Prusa i3 - Hot End PID Autotune Fail - Timeout
March 01, 2017 07:46PM
I recently replaced my hotend with a new nozzle assembly following a failure. This is the nozzle that I am using now:
[www.amazon.com]

I attempted to preheat the printer as per normal procedures, but I encountered a "Heating Fail" around 100 degrees. From there, I've attempted a PID Autotune, but I cannot get it to go above 180 degrees before it fails on timeout.

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.
Re: Prusa i3 - Hot End PID Autotune Fail - Timeout
March 02, 2017 02:26AM
I know of several people who have ordered 12V hot ends and received 24V versions instead (although marked as 12V). Firstly check that what you actually received is in fact a 12V hot end. Take a resistance across the heater wires, it should read around 3.6 ohms. If it reads over 10 ohms then it is a 24V version and it will only put out around 10W on 12V, which could be the reason that it is struggling to raise the temperature.

Check that the thermistor is fully in place in its hole in the heater block and secured. Also, check the thermistor resistance reading is correct for your machine. Most machines use ones that are 100 kohm at 25C (125 kohm at 20C).
March 02, 2017 11:26PM
Supermec
I know of several people who have ordered 12V hot ends and received 24V versions instead (although marked as 12V). Firstly check that what you actually received is in fact a 12V hot end. Take a resistance across the heater wires, it should read around 3.6 ohms. If it reads over 10 ohms then it is a 24V version and it will only put out around 10W on 12V, which could be the reason that it is struggling to raise the temperature.

Check that the thermistor is fully in place in its hole in the heater block and secured. Also, check the thermistor resistance reading is correct for your machine. Most machines use ones that are 100 kohm at 25C (125 kohm at 20C).

15 ohms. Son of a b*tch.
March 03, 2017 07:00PM
Vgala9

It would seem then that they have sent you a 24V version, they read around 14.4 ohms. I am absolutely certain that this is the cause of your problems. You could just get a replacement cartridge, but when you receive it check that one as well before going to the trouble of fitting it.

Best of luck.
March 03, 2017 07:23PM
Supermec
Vgala9

It would seem then that they have sent you a 24V version, they read around 14.4 ohms. I am absolutely certain that this is the cause of your problems. You could just get a replacement cartridge, but when you receive it check that one as well before going to the trouble of fitting it.

Best of luck.

Thank you friend.

I did happen to check the resistance of the 12V version that had failed and it was 5.0 ohms, so you're absolutely correct.

Hope that they send me the proper versiom this time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login