Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X Stepper wont move

Posted by lolpota 
X Stepper wont move
February 07, 2017 05:46AM
I just finished my printer, but when i try to home the printer it homes y and z axis then the x axis just grinds. it checked the belt already and thats not the problem. Any one know a way to fix it? I have a RepRap Guru if that helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 08:05AM by lolpota.
Re: X Stepper wont move
February 07, 2017 08:30AM
Take the X axis belt off and check that you can move the extruder freely all the way from side to side by hand. If you can't then you most probably have a bent X guide or the X guide mounting holes are out of line. If the extruder is moving freely by hand then put the belt back on, check the X motor connections, position the extruder in the middle of the X travel and try home X again. If the X stepper still isn't operating properly then either the motor, the cable, or the stepper driver is faulty.

Turn off, then swap the cables to the X and Y motors at the motor end and turn back on. Try a Y move (but not home Y), if the X stepper is still not working then the X stepper motor is faulty. If the X motor responds OK then do the next test.

Now try an X move (but not home X), if the Y stepper is now not working then either the X cable is faulty or the X stepper driver is faulty. Continuity checking the X cable wires and ensuring that they are connected to the correct pins will determine whether it is the cable or the stepper driver.

What ever you do, do not unplug the stepper cables with the power on. This will destroy the stepper drivers.
February 07, 2017 05:58PM
well i tried all of that, and it moves my hand and the y moved when i swapped the cables, but the x still just grinds like its stuck on something. i even swapped out the stepper motor for one that i had from my other printer and it didnt move.
February 07, 2017 06:59PM
Well I tried all that doesn't tell me very much. You are asking for help and I'm trying to help you. Tell me exactly what happened for each part of what I suggested.
February 07, 2017 07:08PM
When took the belt off, it moved just fine by hand. When i swapped the x and y cables the x-axis still grinded, but the y-axis moved just fine. Then i switched out the x stepper with one from my other printer and it still grinds.
February 07, 2017 09:20PM
Here this is what happens [youtu.be]
February 08, 2017 02:29AM
From what you say the Y axis was fine after swapping the cables, so this eliminates a problem with the cable or stepper driver for the X axis. If that was the problem then it would have transferred to the Y axis. Since the problem remained with the X axis it should be the X stepper motor, but you say that you have swapped that and the new X motor would not function either, so the motor is not faulty.

The axis moves freely by hand without the belt, does it still do so with the belt on, if not then the belt is fouling. If it still moves freely with the belt on then the only other thing I can think of is a problem with the X axis limit switch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login