Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multicolor Printing - Prusa Hephestos

Posted by h4nc 
Multicolor Printing - Prusa Hephestos
December 26, 2016 02:07PM
Hi guys,

I have a Prusa i3 Hephestos (by BQ) and I’m interested in multicolor printing. I searched for a while. There are two (or three) systems that I’m interested in. The Diamond Hotend by reprap.me, the E3D Cyclops and Chimera.

Actually I prefer the Diamond Hotend but I have some more questions.

1. Is the Diamond Hotend a good choice or should I go with something else?
2. Should I upgrade to Rumba or is it ok to stay with the Rampsboard (with Stepperexpandershield)? What would be the benefits of the Rumbaboard?
3. E3d V6 or E3D Lite6 (reprap.me recommends Lite6, but will I be satisfied with this in future or will I miss V6 features)?
4. Mk9 Extruder or Geared Extruder?

Thank you!
Re: Multicolor Printing - Prusa Hephestos
December 27, 2016 03:01AM
I have tested all three of them ( clones only! ) on my delta. The diamond was the one with good prints, the Cyclops leaked like hell ( bad clone ). The chimera ( dual nozzle ) needs a perfect rigid installation otherwise the second nozzle scratches the fresh tracks off the bed.

For the diamond you'd need good extruders and short ptfe-tubes. Right now I'm designing a swinging extruder setup to put the diamond onto my Prusa. ( amongst other )
I'm using the RADDS board but recommend a Duet with Duex? addon. RepRapFirmware has all the nice features for mixing extruders on the fly. I don't know about the Rumba board features?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login