Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HICi3 3dp-12

Posted by Rb25det 
HICi3 3dp-12
November 01, 2016 10:17PM
Hello,
I really want to update my firmware on my Hictop 3dp-12. My programing skills are week. I bought it here
[www.ebay.com]
I have Lead screws, 24v power supply, and a red motherboard that has MPX.3 on it, ramps 1.4, I am hoping that for now, someone has this exact machine with the configuration.h file already and will post it. I do have to learn this program because I am planning on modifying a few things, like a larger print area, a proximity sensor that senses the glass and dual filament printing. For now I would just like to be able to make, look through the right coding and be able to flash it to my printer, If any one has the config.h or can walk me through how to edit the ones that I have downloaded including the one in the thread here,

GeorgeL16
First off, I have only been into 3D printing for 2 months and no where a expert in the field, however I'm an engineer by trade and have been coding longer that I want to mention. This is just a very small summary of getting a HICi3 from just the box quality, to a pretty darn good printer, at least in my book...

My current HICi3 with multiple calibration test objects printed yesterday, there are more test object tossed in boxes (more on that later...):
[attachment 77024 0422161612a_2048.jpg]

Have had my HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3 black aluminum frame printer for about 2 months and have tweaked and refined it. Yesterday downloaded Marlin 1.1.0-RC5 and got the firmware uploaded and is performing great. I use custom stainless machine-shop-straight stainless z-axis rods, custom motor couplers. Rods are standard 8mm x 1.25mm pitch, the OEM ones were warped steel junk.

Do not use OEM firmware, we have horror stories include my own in that the HIC supplied source would not even compile = syntax errors! Latest HICTOP OEM supplied firmware .hex file upload using Cura bricked my friends HICi3 RAMPS v1.4 control board. Do yourself a favor and download latest Marlin directly as in the latest Marlin-1.1.0-RC5 as of yesterday at least, and edit the file to work with your printer. You can use mine that is attached here to save some headaches, in particular end-stops, bed size, etc., then compile/upload using Arduino IDE v1.6.8 (do not use a IDE v1.5.x version according to Marlin/Github):
Latest Marlin RC here
[github.com]

For your review, here is my partial listing of my latest (and heavily commented) EEPROM settings in the Configuration.h file:

// Default AXIS STEPS, MAX_FEEDRATE, ACCELERATION settings

// Default AXIS STEP Settings (motor steps) X, Y, Z, E
// 1a) default axis steps per unit for Ultimaker steps/mm ={8.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}
// 1b) default axis steps per unit for HIC i3 steps/mm ={80,80,2560,94.4962144}, OEM z-axis threaded rods =8mm wide x 1.25mm pitch
//#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2560,94.4962144} // original default for HIC i3, (steps/mm)
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80,80,2559,98.6} // CL: default steps for _my_ HIC i3, you may need to change the Z and/or E for your machine

// Default MAXIMUM FEEDRATES (motor speeds) X, Y, Z, E - GLOBAL for printing and non-printing
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {200,200,5,17} // (mm/sec) default for Makerbot i3
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500,500,5,25} // (mm/sec) default for HIC i3
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE   {120,120,3,25} // (mm/sec) CL: default for _my_ HIC i3 max feedrate rated at ~120mm/sec

// Default MAXIMUM ACCELERATION (motor) X, Y, Z, E=(extrusion only) - max start speeds for accelerated moves
// NOTE: value stored in DEFAULT_ACCELERATION if lower, will limit these MAX rates
//#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // (mm/sec^2) default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION   {1200,1200,50,10000} // (mm/sec^2) CL: for _my_ HIC i3 - X, Y, Z, E(moves) maximum start speed for accelerated moves
// E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

// Default misc. ACCELERATIONS
//#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION   500 // (mm/sec^2) default for Makerbot i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
//#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000 // (mm/sec^2) default for HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION   1200 // (mm/sec^2 ) CL: for _my_ HIC i3 - X, Y, Z and E max acceleration for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  3000 // (mm/sec^2) E acceleration for retracts (fliament purge and feed)
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION   1200 // (mm/sec^2) X, Y, Z acceleration for travel (non-printing) moves

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
// default jerk values for HIC i3 ={20.0, 0.4, 5.0} (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK              2.0 // CL: For HIC i3, was =20, (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK                 0.4  // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK                 5.0  // (mm/sec)

My Configuration.h file:
[attachment 77022 Marlin-1.1.0-RC5_HICi3-1.1..0-RC5_CL042316_X1.zip]

E steps is post extruder calibration, DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE is from extensive testing = slow the thing down, factory setting is WAY too fast for this HICi3.
Also attached is my Slic3r/Cura parameter worksheet and EEPROM variable/settings worksheet on another tab in the sheet, it may come in useful. Remember, these are my settings for what I call the "HICi3". I have Slic3r setup to where you cannot tell much the print quality difference than using the paid S3D on my friends HICi3, however still like the supports a LOT better using his S3D, that is for sure.
[attachment 77021 HICTOPRepRapPrusaI3_Slic3r_PrintSettings_CL042216A.zip]

Also, I print from 30mm/sec and UP TO 60mm/sec print moves. Slic3r default to 40mm/sec print speed. MAX feed rate (non-printing moves X and Y) 120mm/sec or even better set to 80mm/sec or you will shake a non-modified or a stock and not yet tuned HICi3 all to heck and your prints will suffer, trust me.

Have you calibrated your printer, or did you try just print after assembly?. If you did, then you were like me and just wasted filament. Two links here that are a MUST read for any Reprap and HICi3 owner (there are many more):
[reprap.org]
[richrap.blogspot.ch]

In summary:
- EEPROM write enabled
- SD card 100% operational even with power on
- LCD control knob now works correctly, no more 'skipped' values
- Marlin improved LCD menu items
- Marlin improved LCD graphics (? flashing instead of X,Y,Z until Auto Home, etc.)
- Default configuration now setup for my HICi3 = just slice and print, no more tweaking on LCD
- Many other tweaks and functionality
- NOTE: auto bed leveling not yet tested, that is next.

Hope that helps out, my machine is EEPROM enabled, SD card works 100%, default settings I just slice and print with NO messing with the LCD controls.

Chip

---

I'd really appreciate it. I do have the Arduino IDE, I am really concerned that there might be some coding that is specific to 24v system, that if I got wrong would burn something up. Thanks in advance.
Re: HICi3 3dp-12
November 06, 2016 07:27AM
Can you please help.

I have flashed the new Config.h file to my Hictop i3 (3DP12).

But now my LCD screen doesn't work and also getting a heating failing (Heater_ID: Bed error.

I am using Arduino 1.6.12 and using the latest Marlin firmware.

My board is a standard board that come with the 3DP12 ( MPX.3) and thge LCD i am using is MLCD 2004.2

I am using simplyfy3D and i've never had any issues until ive updated my Firmware.

Any help of coding advice would be great thanks.

Stu

Attached is the config file
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (51.8 KB)
November 06, 2016 08:03PM
and change

//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
to
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

I think, and let me know if that works.
February 08, 2017 08:09AM
Hi, please where is your configuration.h for downloading ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login