Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't update firmware on GT2560

Posted by Rainbows 
Can't update firmware on GT2560
September 04, 2016 10:06AM
I built and wired up my 3d printer and was leveling the bed when I encountered an issue.
Repetier host gives the error of an endstop being hit. I checked the statuses and it was showing that the max for each axis was triggered. The machine only comes with min end stops.

I downloaded Marlin 1.1.0 RC7 which came with the max end stops disabled. Downloaded Arduino 1.6.11

When I plug my laptop to the 3d printer and try to upload the firmware to the printer it gives the error

"
Arduino: 1.6.11 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 50,020 bytes (19%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 2,709 bytes (33%) of dynamic memory, leaving 5,483 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
"

Can anyone tell what I might be doing wrong?
Re: Can't update firmware on GT2560
September 07, 2016 09:06PM
This is a communications issue, basically its says I cant upload to this board.

wrong serial port would be the first thing to check.
September 08, 2016 09:50AM
Make sure the Arduino IDE is the ONLY ONE using your board.
Ie, If you open and connect Pronterface, arduino IDE will fail.
September 30, 2016 08:41AM
Having just been through this NIGHTMARE, I can guess what is wrong with it... Assuming your board came from ebay as part of the £147 i3 kit, and was preconfigured with max and min end stops in the firmware and only min end stops in the kit...

1. there is no bootloader on the mega so you cannot upload new code via usb
2. you need a usbasp (or use another arduino as ISP) to fix the bootloader
3. you need the driver updater for the USBasp as the old one is incompatible with the new arduino IDE...
Plug in USBasp
Download Zadig from [zadig.akeo.ie]
Start zadig
Options > List all devices
Select USBasp from the drop down menu
Select libusbK(v3.0.7.0) driver
Click Install
4, Connect the USBasp to the headers as follows in the diagram linked below...
[www.geeetech.com]
5. Burn the bootloader
6. Disconnect the USBasp and then upload Marlin via USB (configured properly - the defaults don't look too bad though).

Hope this helps.
October 16, 2016 03:20PM
There's been reported issues using Arduino IDE 1.6.x to upload Marlin RC7 and the suggestion is to use Arduino 1.0.5 (worked for me)
October 27, 2016 10:53AM
I had the same issue as John. Arduino 1.0.5 didn't help. I had to go through the long process of burning a bootloader and only then I was able to program the board directly.

A word of caution though ... I used the little "nudge" in the LCD/SD header sockets as a reference to where the pins are, however on my board the header sockets were upsidedown so the "nudge" was pointing down rather than up. In short - all of the pins where upside down. The best way to know where the pins are is to look at the writing on the board itself (LCD, SD Card, and also the resistors).
December 20, 2016 06:57AM
Hi JohnW, I'm having the same problem and indeed my printer is a cheap Chinese £147 kit. Sounds like you've fixed the problem I am having except I'm a bit of a dolt when it comes to wiring. Set up my usbasp without incident up to the end of point three in your guide, and indeed wiring one pin to another is pretty straight forward when it comes to MISO, MOSI, VCC, RST and SCK. However, what do I do with the NC and 4 GND pins on my adaptor?
Also my connectors seem to be the opposite way up to the picture you link to (much like slepax mentions) I don't see any writing on my board, is there another way to confirm I have to correct pin locations on my GT2560 Rev A?
I can send pictures if it helps.
Thanks in advance.
December 21, 2016 01:56PM
I have the same problem whe I calibrate printer and everytime when I upload firmware nothing changes. I still didn't solved problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2016 01:57PM by Blisk.
March 28, 2017 06:45PM
JohnW
Having just been through this NIGHTMARE, I can guess what is wrong with it... Assuming your board came from ebay as part of the £147 i3 kit, and was preconfigured with max and min end stops in the firmware and only min end stops in the kit...
I believe you have just described solution to the problem I had for several months now. Indeed I bought Geetech Prusa i3 Pro B from ebay and it was all fine until I started upgrading it and needed to update firmware setting. I tried following the steps on Geetech forum and manual, but they failed and I was suspecting that my GT2560 does not have the bootloader on it, but didn't know how to check it.

Maybe you would be able to advise if issues described in my post seems like missing bootloader (see link below)?

[forum.arduino.cc]

If so, which programmer do you use (or recommend) to flash bootloader on GT2560? Would something like this work( I am guessing as long as it list ATmega2560 it should be fine?):

[www.ebay.co.uk]

thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 06:52PM by linas.p.
April 04, 2017 06:00AM
Check if this video helps [www.youtube.com]
April 04, 2017 10:25AM
My Pro B from Geeetech came with a boot loaded and I have had no trouble uploading to it. I did run into a problem with my hme made XL ctc (Arduino 2560 with ramps 1.3). was working fine until I was uploadin to a different board. Going back to the Pro B kept getting upload errors, my fix to turn laptop of and plug printer into USB port and restart laptop, works OK now. Give it a go you never know it my work
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login