Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

About that print quality

Posted by Veesta 
About that print quality
July 29, 2016 02:56PM
Around 60mm/s print - 0.2 layer, PLA, stepper for size comparison,

Any thoughts how to make it better?

I have a print fan, belts are as tight as possible, all-steps calibrated, stuff..

What does the acceleration values and jerking do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 07:20PM by Veesta.
Re: About that print quality
July 29, 2016 10:02PM
What does something like a 20mm cube or cylinder look like?

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
July 30, 2016 06:31AM
20mm Cube looks like this:

You can see the first layer has "saw edges"
For some reason my nozzle spits it out like that and it is constant from all the way to top.
The "saw edge" continues all the way to the top and in the same position. It is not random.

Also there is small banding running in 45 degrees angle through the print.

EDIT: Nozzle is 0.2mm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2016 06:37AM by Veesta.
July 31, 2016 01:08PM
Is this Object made in Delta Printer or Kossel Printer ??
July 31, 2016 01:25PM
Prusa i3 Rework, as per [reprap.org]

I've changed the acceleration values and XY jerk and it seems to make a difference.
It runs more stable and will not block the nozzle that easily during print. Slight improvement on the print quality.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          1000    // X, Y, Z and E acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  1000    // E acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts
#define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION   1000    // X, Y, Z acceleration in mm/s^2 for travel (non printing) moves

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK                5.0    // (mm/sec)

However, it still spits like that.

July 31, 2016 07:06PM
Almost rid of the curl.

Printed a PSU cover from Toolson. ( [www.thingiverse.com] ) 3:50 printing time and this was the result.
0.3 layer, Those two square holes came out really nice.

Time to declare a victory and move on?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2016 09:40PM by Veesta.
August 01, 2016 02:52AM
I wouldn't. Your layers are barely adhered to each other.
August 01, 2016 06:09AM
I don't know about the layers, but Infill looks nice when printing. Maybe i should make the perimeters, say 10% fatter?
IIRC, those perimeters are printed 60mm/s inner and 40mm/s outer. Cooling fan is always on, atleast 35%

I'm beginning to think i have some kind of physical damage in the nozzle tip. (combined with ringing from the backlash of mechanical parts)
This damage would make the plastic juice flow more on some direction than the other.

To eBays! And a new nozzle. grinning smiley
August 01, 2016 10:07PM
Hang on, did you say you've got a .2mm nozzle, and you're printing with .2 or .3mm layer height? That's an issue. layer height should be less than 80% of the nozzle diameter at maximum.

The following was printed on my Folger, with the stock .4mm extruder nozzle, at .1mm layer height:

Notice how tight the layers are, none of those gaps. That's what you're shooting for. Lil red kitty was made on my Folger, took just under an hour.
August 04, 2016 07:51AM
Lowering the nozzle temp to almost minimum the plastic even flows out and making only the outer perimeter slightly wider solved the fugly layers-not-adhering problem.

Printed the same part 9 times and finally got it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login