Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TEVO Tarantula - The new king of kits

Posted by CheopisIV 
Re: TEVO Tarantula - The new king of kits
April 03, 2016 10:51AM
Hi CheopisIV

Looks like you are an experienced Tarantula user, so maybe you can help me with my connection Problem.

Finish the building of my trarantula a few days before, but yesterday was the first day trying to print something.

Finished the 2by2 cube sucsessfully and the follwing small Dino Figure was also coming out nice.

But after a small pause while i download a spool holder, the printer usb connection breaks completly. Im getting always this error in my simplify3d controll panel:

Attempting connection at \\.\COM4...
WARNING: framing error detected by hardware. Please verify that you are using the correct baud rate.
WARNING: framing error detected by hardware. Please verify that you are using the correct baud rate.
Testing plaintext communication protocol...
Testing binary communication protocol...
Testing alternate communication protocols...
Attempting RTS reset and trying again...
Connection failed.

Also a try with Cura just give me connection errors

Using Windows 10. Com 4 with Baudrate 250 000 works 3 times.. then the error comes up.

What I try:

-surely lot of reeboots, USB disconnects, Printer power on off´s etc.
-flashing the latest firmare (v.0.1d ?) via arudino,with no changes (larger bed settings) made. Arudino say´s everytings fine, no Problems during update. The error still appears
-Try the - use older FDI driver move - still the problem
-Try other Baudrates - nothing works, exept on 115 200 looks like working but printer didn´t start (there was a CRC error, maybe because of this ? )
-finaly a different USB Cable - hmm, didn´t realy expect something

So absolutely ran out of Ideas. Is the PCB damaged ?

TIA

Ingo
April 09, 2016 04:18AM
seems many printers are suffering resonance issues and are resorting to isolators on the motors. are you noticing this to be the case?
April 09, 2016 04:19AM
need to check your firmware and the baud rate settings on the board.

deringo
Hi CheopisIV

Looks like you are an experienced Tarantula user, so maybe you can help me with my connection Problem.

Finish the building of my trarantula a few days before, but yesterday was the first day trying to print something.

Finished the 2by2 cube sucsessfully and the follwing small Dino Figure was also coming out nice.

But after a small pause while i download a spool holder, the printer usb connection breaks completly. Im getting always this error in my simplify3d controll panel:

Attempting connection at \\.\COM4...
Testing plaintext communication protocol...
Testing binary communication protocol...
Testing alternate communication protocols...
Attempting RTS reset and trying again...
Connection failed.

Also a try with Cura just give me connection errors

Using Windows 10. Com 4 with Baudrate 250 000 works 3 times.. then the error comes up.

What I try:

-surely lot of reeboots, USB disconnects, Printer power on off´s etc.
-flashing the latest firmare (v.0.1d ?) via arudino,with no changes (larger bed settings) made. Arudino say´s everytings fine, no Problems during update. The error still appears
-Try the - use older FDI driver move - still the problem
-Try other Baudrates - nothing works, exept on 115 200 looks like working but printer didn´t start (there was a CRC error, maybe because of this ? )
-finaly a different USB Cable - hmm, didn´t realy expect something

So absolutely ran out of Ideas. Is the PCB damaged ?

TIA

Ingo
April 25, 2016 01:35PM
Hi,
I am going to apologize right now and say..... this is probably a huge noob question. I just bought this same printer but with a larger print bed and have it completely built. I started using Cura and printing and the prints are great, but one thing I noticed was they were not printing where I set them up in Cura. Then I noticed that if I moved the axis, it would stop itself at 220....even with tons of print bed and space left on the y travel. Im guessing this has to do with the firmware and I have no clue how to fix this. I reached out to the manufacture and have recieved nothing. What Im asking for is if someone can share with me the firmware they are using (repitier of Marlin) so I can go through it and see what kind of board I have and etc. Or if someone would just set it up for a 220 x 280 x 220 print bed that would be even better. Im really just looking for any help I can get so I can print the full( close to full) size of my print bed. I also do not have a Facebook to view the facebook group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2016 01:37PM by Eric Barzycki.
June 08, 2016 12:53PM
Hey...great to see the printer is running smooth...i just completed the assembly and and having some axes homing issues....bed comes forward and hits the front pulley, grinds....x and z seem ok...tried y motor on both sides of rail to no avail...any advice...thanks!
June 30, 2016 08:21PM
Hey guys.
I just finished assembling my Tarantula. I ordered the Electron Slimbot kit. I've got it communicating with my PC, I can get the machine to attempt a print, ie. the head moves around the plate as if it were printing, the extruder motor runs. I wired the power for my heated bed and extruder but I'm not getting any juice to the outputs. I tested with my multi-meter after the readout didn't show it heating up when I set the temp and turned on the preheating.

Is it more likely to be an issue with the firmware or the PCB(Hardware)?

If it is hardware, can you post a link to buy a new PCB?
July 07, 2016 02:47PM
They almost had me but the lack of 24v and with a change to 8x8 leadscrew they can keep it.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
July 18, 2016 10:54AM
After digging deeper I really would love to build this printer but just the wheels and extruded aluminum from OB is around 108 dollars. The problem with the Tarantula is that people are told if you are missing parts or you get damaged parts or filament then you have to go out and get replacement. Screw that. Oh, and they all say the filament is a gift so if it comes whacked out like the OP's did then "you are buying printer not the filament". If you get a good one with all the parts and the filament intact you will love the printer (the filament that comes is some of the best you can get or the absolute worst depending on your luck) but the hairs on the back of my neck just says to stay away if you can't get any support. If I had missing parts or broken filament I would immediately contact Aliexpress or eBay and start the process as I have no time for underhanded, or at least unscrupulous, dealings.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
July 18, 2016 08:01PM
Please read it before purchase.

[www.reddit.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 12:09AM by christiaan_voorend.
July 18, 2016 08:26PM
christiaan_voorend
[www.reddit.com]
Thank you for this and it confirms what I was thinking after talking with people. Tevo is seriously not a nice company or the people directly associated with them.

_______
August 07, 2016 08:10AM
Tevo Tarantula is not king of kits but sure the seller has become King after selling it and duping by sending garbage to people smoking smiley
September 01, 2016 11:17AM
This MK1 Case is so good for Tevo Tarantula.
[www.thingiverse.com]

Thanks
[www.3dprintersbay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 11:19AM by 3dprintersbay.
October 04, 2016 09:24PM
Hi everyone. Can some one give me some small info on the printer....
-The measurements on the belts and pulleys
-The micro stepping setting
-steps per millimeter value of the xtruder
- as well as what kind of heated bed and sensor it uses?
Thanks
October 15, 2016 08:38PM
Hi,

I have purchased the same printer (Tarantula - Screen says Migbot 3D Printer)). After looking at all the cheap options online for a while, I decided on this one as it had the bigger print area and seemed to be a better value for money. Although, I do understand that "you get what you pay for". I've built the printer and have used it a little bit, I did get two rolls of PLA with it, and one seems to be completely useless, the other hasn't been too bad, but I'd only use it on small jobs as it still has breaks in it and seems to be a little brittle.

I purchased a new roll of PLA from a local supplier, and it has been fine. I've been able to print small frogs, cubes and other objects which are great for the kids, but not why I purchased the printer. I am trying to print a box which is 200mm x 80mm and 50mm high. I jhave designed it in SolidWorks 2016, and it starts printing fine, but gets to about 20% done and then the filament stops feeding, the printer continues as it thinks the filament is feeding, and when I check on it after a while, the noxxle is sitting about 10cm above the actual printed filament level, still going as though it's printing.

Naturally then I need to change the nozzle and clean up the old one, as the filament left in the nozzle has burnt and is now stuck in there.

Any suggestions what may be causing this?

Also, I can't print directly from SolidWorks2016. Has anyone else had this issue? I have installed the drover, and can see the printer, but i can't print to it directly. I have to save the file as an STL, then open in Slic3r and export it as a GCODE file on the SD Card and insert that directly in the printer.

Thank you for your help....
October 15, 2016 11:04PM
I went back to SW2014 as 2016 is better than 2015 but I didn't like it over 2014. Printing directly you must be on Windows 10? I never saw a reason to print directly because internally it is still going to STL so I just export it and print via sd card. If SW actually printed from a solid (just numbers and no conversion) I would be printing with that as STL is a horrible format in this day and age.

Good luck.

_______
October 16, 2016 12:34AM
Dark Alchemist
I went back to SW2014 as 2016 is better than 2015 but I didn't like it over 2014. Printing directly you must be on Windows 10? I never saw a reason to print directly because internally it is still going to STL so I just export it and print via sd card. If SW actually printed from a solid (just numbers and no conversion) I would be printing with that as STL is a horrible format in this day and age.

Good luck.

I know nothing about STL files, or SolidWorks (even 3D Printing for that fact), just another learning curve. I was trying to eliminate the back and forth of the SD Card between PC and Printer. However, I do see and understand what you are saying. Thank you.
October 16, 2016 01:24AM
Well, there is a really cool item I am seriously looking at and that is an aircard which is an SDcard with wifi built in. You can just leave it in the printer and save to the card over wifi then turn the machine on and there it is ready to print.

_______
February 19, 2017 04:16PM
The TEVO tarantula is my first printer. It will arrive tomorrow night. I'm pretty sure with the information here and on utube I will be able to assemble it. Where can I find print ready programs to test it out?
February 19, 2017 04:23PM
Where can I find 3D projects. I will be getting my TEVO tarantula on monday and I will need to test it when I'm done building it.
February 20, 2017 06:55PM
acjnewto3d,

try thingiverse.
February 22, 2017 11:25AM
I just got started in this 3D printing. I downloaded 123D Design and was starting to learn how to use it when I found out that it was not going to be around after the end of march. Could anyone tell me what beginner software I can download for free.
I will be getting my TEVO Tarantula some time today.
February 22, 2017 12:48PM
Tinkercad is on the web (as in there is no real program) and Fusion360 is free until you earn money with it (I think, but could be wrong, 100k USD).

_______
February 22, 2017 04:21PM
Thanks I'll check it out
April 01, 2017 01:04PM
I finished building my TEVO tarantula and everything works fine manually. the head and bed heats up and X,Y, and Z and extruder steppers work. now comes the problem when I loaded a g-source program of a spool holder I got online to my SD card and when I try to print it thinks itsprinting but nothing happens. every thing is heated up. i'm not sure I have all of the settings set correctly on the printer. is there anyplace I can get the settings. also I cannot connect my computer to my printer because I don't have the settings and it is looking for a com port and its pluged into a USB .PLEASE HELP my wife is impressed with me being able to make it work manually but she would really like to see it print something. I have been playing with it for four weeks with no results. Thanks
April 01, 2017 08:27PM
>it is looking for a com port and its pluged into a USB

In 'Device Manager', you'll see a Com port labled Arduino Mega. That is the com port your printer will be connected through. (Virtual com port is what it's doing)
April 03, 2017 08:25PM
Thanks for the info it worked great. I have another problem. All of my servos work I heated up my extruded and was able to get the feeding stepper to feed and the filament came out fine after loading the firmware I tried to print when I loaded the filament it would not feed through it seemed like the nozzle was clogged is there anything I can do it was heating up ok when I touched the filament to the tip it was melting but every time I tried to feed the stepper was clicking.
April 03, 2017 08:27PM
I have a single metal flex extruded and a TiVo tarantula
April 03, 2017 09:28PM
Will a champion all metal V6 universal hot end for 1.75mm filament .4mm nozzle reprap 3D printer mount on my TiVo tarantula printer without any special parts to mount it and do you think this is a good hot end it's sold on amazon.
May 05, 2017 02:40PM
I heard good things about that hotend (champion all metal V6 ) specifically on the Facebook group.

If anyone else is reading this and wants a good introduction to the Tevo Tarantula with all the relevant links and setup tips check out my blog post I just did on it. https://steventaitinger.wordpress.com/2017/04/26/rc-project-the-3d-printer-tevo-tarantula/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login