Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting Started with Firmware (Help Please)

Posted by KimBrown 
Getting Started with Firmware (Help Please)
October 07, 2015 02:07PM
Hi, could some kind sole please point me in the right direction.... As I'm lost.
I have down loaded Arduino and installed it, and downloaded the Marlin Firmware, but it's the basic bit of getting Marlin in to the Arduino IDE I need help with.
As in.... Which file do I open that loads in the rest of the files....

Also, the Ramps board I'm using already has a working copy of the Firmware onboard....
Can I back it up on to the Laptop here?

It's been along time since I did any programming, so bare with me please... The Grey Cells have gone White over the years.....lol
Kim..

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Re: Getting Started with Firmware (Help Please)
October 07, 2015 04:15PM
You can't save a copy of the firmware already on the board but if you send a M503 command in the gcode terminal of your host program which will read out the values for your printer to put into your config.h
This only works with Sprinter and Marlin Firmware.

As for opening marlin, when you go into the folder labeled "Marlin". Scroll down to the file labeled "Marlin.ino". It should have the Arduino logo next to the file.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
Re: Getting Started with Firmware (Help Please)
October 08, 2015 01:42AM
On my computer i have to find the marlin.ino file then right-click it and select "Open with..." and then choose Arduino IDE. For some reason that works better than trying to open it for arduino.

I had a hard time getting marlin to work for me. If you can't get it working then Repitier has a good online configuration tool. That being said more people use marlin than repitier, I don't know if there is a performance reason.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login