Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nema stepper isn't working correctly

Posted by doddo 
Nema stepper isn't working correctly
October 03, 2015 12:16PM
Hi,
I have a MK7 extruder, with a NEMA 17 stepper.
The motor is making some "ticks" every x sec when the speed is too high. Anyone already had this problem ?
There's also an other problem...
After a while, the motor stops swallowing the filament. If I force the filament, it works... But I can't stay near my machine for checking every 3 minutes...

Thanks a lot for your answers grinning smiley
Re: Nema stepper isn't working correctly
October 03, 2015 03:42PM
I think it is only one problem, the click is the extruder slipping on the filament either because you are feeding too fast or the nozzle is jammed on the bed. If this happens too much a groove is formed on the filament leaving no grip for the drive wheel.
October 04, 2015 12:10AM
Too fast of a speed won't let the heater melt the filament fast enough, so the filament gets stuck in the nozzle, and the motor can't push it anymore, so it clicks.
October 04, 2015 02:33AM
Sounds like the motor current could be too high, check if the stepstick chip is overheating. What are the feedrate/velocity and acceleration settings?
Is the extruder idler too tight?
October 05, 2015 10:35AM
I had similar problems. But i found out that my hotend PID temperature controller was misconfigured, when the filiment would extrude quickly the temperature would drop 10-15C before heating up again. While the temperature was 10ish degrees below the set temp my extruder would click until it heated up again. Just watch the temp as you print, its pretty easy to see if your hotend controler isn't tuned right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login