Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i3 triggered by non-existent end-points?

Posted by chrisg 
i3 triggered by non-existent end-points?
September 28, 2015 11:25PM
Hi there! I've just finished assembling this i3 2020 kit - awesome stuff!

I have a problem I cannot solve - the printer appears to be behaving as if there are non-existent end-points triggered that block the movement of the 3 axis in the directions that have no physical end-point microswitch.

Let me elaborate:

On the X-Axis, the end-point microswitch is mounted on the right side (when printer is facing me). Using "manual mode" on Repetier-Host, I can tell the printer to move to the right on the X-Axis (and I can make it move right all the way up to when it physically triggers the microswitch and then the motor stops, just as expected).

However I cannot move to the left. The Reptetier-Host log window indicates that a end-point is triggered preventing the head from moving left on the X-axis. But of course there is no endpoint-microswitch on the left side!
SO it appears that the system THINKs there is a endpoint on the left side of the x-axis and that that imaginary endpoint is triggered.

Same for the Y axis - there is a physical endpoint to the rear, which works, but the printer behaves as if there is an triggered endpoint to the front when there is no endpoint there at all..

And same again for the Z axis - there is a physical endpoint to prevent the head touching the glass, but the printer behaves as if there was a triggered endpoint up top...

I experimented with inverting the axis - for example I inverted the X-axis, so now it will only move to the left, and not to the right! (this was useful to prove that the axis CAN move to the left ... so it is not a electrical or mechanical problem...)

I will be extremely grateful for any assistance anyone can give me in solving this problem

EDIT - sorry everyone, I mean't to post this in the Folgertech i3 2020 Thread! I can't see how to delete this thread, sorry...

The kit is the FolgerTech Prusa i3 2020 (http://folgertech.com/products/folger-tech-reprap-2020-prusa-i3-full-aluminum-3d-printer-kit)

I am using the Marlin RAMPS EPCOS i38 firmware

EDIT # 2 ***** PROBLEM SOLVED! ******
The answer was to edit the Merlin firmware Configuration.h file and uncomment the line:

#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

This tells the printer that there are no max-endstops, only min-endstops.
Regards
Chris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 03:15AM by chrisg.
Re: i3 triggered by non-existent end-points?
September 29, 2015 12:01AM
Which kit?
September 29, 2015 12:06AM
Opps, you've made me realise I meant to post this question in the Official FolgerTech 2020 thread!

I'll see if I can possibly delete this thread and repost...

EDIT - nope, sorry, I can't see how to delete this thread, so I'll keep the discussion going here. I've edited the top message of this thread with the kit details - i3 Prusa Reprap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 12:24AM by chrisg.
September 29, 2015 02:38PM
chrisg
Opps, you've made me realise I meant to post this question in the Official FolgerTech 2020 thread!

I'll see if I can possibly delete this thread and repost...

EDIT - nope, sorry, I can't see how to delete this thread, so I'll keep the discussion going here. I've edited the top message of this thread with the kit details - i3 Prusa Reprap

Yep, don't mean to be a pain, but go read the whole thread. X not working properly is in there a few times,with quite a few fixes.
Honestly, it helped me learn what's what with the printer and gets you into the firmware and endstops, and interaction of settings with both. Good experience.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login