Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New printer, need help getting it printing.

Posted by Derekscott 
New printer, need help getting it printing.
September 11, 2015 07:04PM
Please help,

I have had my folger prusa since June and haven't been able to get it to do anything but hold down paper. I have had the guys and gal folger tech send me new thermistors. But I think it would be best to start from the beginning. What firm ware do I install on my home computer? Then what do I need to install? Any help for a noob would help.
Re: New printer, need help getting it printing.
September 13, 2015 05:51PM
Any one able to help me start from the begining? It's been so long since I have completed the kit I must have missed something. Any hop would be great.
September 13, 2015 06:27PM
Well, what was it doing when you put it away? What firmware is currently on it? How about some pics?
September 14, 2015 03:11AM
The toolchain is
- cad design suite to make your models, or use a 3d modeling program if you're already familiar with one. Or download the object in stl format.
- your printer needs firmware. You've probably got an arduino based board. You'll need arduino studio to load your board with firmware like repetier or marlin. Configuration is an important part of the process.
- when you setup the printer for the first time, you'll need to spend quite a lot of time to calibrate numerous parts of the printer and firmware settings.
- before you can print you need a slicer to cut up the stl in lines and layers. This produces a gcode file.
- you'll need a print host, pronterface, cura, repetier host are popular choices. The latter two also include a slicer. You load the gcode, connect to the printer and hit the print button.

That should get you started. Research each of the above items using the reprap wiki and google.
September 19, 2015 11:27PM
Go to the Folger Tech site, click on the printer that you have, and on that page will be a link to all the build and configuration manuals as well as all the firmware. It's all there for you to get started if you are computer savvy. If you're not.................... Sell the printer. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login