Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Confused by all the options - Noob seeking advice

Posted by monkeymark 
Confused by all the options - Noob seeking advice
September 07, 2015 05:38AM
Hi all,

I'm hoping all you experienced reprappers can help me out please.

I have thought about building a reprap for a while but as I am not the most wealthy person keep putting it off. I have just found out that work will be purchasing a 3D printer (no idea on make or size yet, but in the £1000 region). I have been told I will be able to use it, but a limited amount. This got me thinking of building my own but printing out most/all of the plastic components. Hopefully this will help with the cost somewhat and enable to actually afford one.

Now here come the questions.

I have done quite a lot of reading but as there are so many variants I'm getting a little lost and have found myself going around in circles. Different heads, different electronics, different everything. About the only thing I have decided is that I like the Prusa i3.

I could build a box frame myself but may get a laser cut one as they look better in my opinion and then there is less to worry about with regards to accuracy too.
Is there somewhere with an up to date parts list that keeps it fairly simple? I want to keep costs down but don't mind spending a little more for better components as I'll be spreading the cost over the build time anyway.
What is the cost difference between a single colour head and a dual colour one price wise (bearing in mind that, if it is possible, I could print parts for this)? Is it best to go single then upgrade or go straight for the double?

Basically, I have done information overload with all the reading and find myself more confused than before I started reading.

Any/all help greatly appreciated.

(Based in the UK if that makes a difference with regards to availability of parts).

Regards, Mark

Any/all help greatly appreciated.
Re: Confused by all the options - Noob seeking advice
September 07, 2015 05:44AM
I say go with a metal, and especially a steel, frame. Removes some big variables from the equation.
September 07, 2015 06:17AM
Mark

Lots of UK suppliers listing various parts on eMaker UK 3d Suppliers Shop so once you know what you need to buy, then this will give you an idea of UK prices.

Heavy/bulky items are best sourced locally as shipping costs increase rapidly with size/weight.

I'm not linked with the website or any of the people who list on there, but it does give you a price to reference.
September 10, 2015 04:07PM
Hi,

For a Prusa I3 alike printer, go for a metal frame or a thick MDF frame (at last 1/2").
For Z motors, buy directly motors with long ACME shaft.
you will avoid Z wobble and couplings problems and get a better print quality.
Prefer a proper wade extruder (bowden or not) than a cheap direct drive one.
Choose a proper hotend too. There's some acceptable E3D copy on the market.
A single V6 kit will cost you about £6.
You can use two of them side by side, but you'd rather invest
on a £37 chimera that allows to align and rise the two nozzles easily.

I hope this will help you.

++JM
September 11, 2015 12:25AM
The long acme shaft is a good idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login