Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions regarding Prusa i3 build

Posted by lykowar 
Questions regarding Prusa i3 build
September 05, 2015 08:21PM
Hi, Im new to the forum and I have some questions about the fabrication of the 3d printer.

I am kind of wanting to start the project of building this 3d printer but where I am from either some parts are really expensive or either there are not to be found anywhere, so, if anyone can help me:

About NEMA 17 motors:

I know that this printer uses this kind of motors but they are extremely expensive where I live (more or less around US$ 50 EACH) and if I purchase them from abroad I might have problem letting them in into the country due to its foreign policies. So I was wondering if I could replace this motors with another one, in that case please tell me which one. A friend of mine suggested me of using the step motors for the printers, which in that case I will select those who are more like the NEMA 17 and if possible, to be taken from same brand of printers, if this brings future problems or needs another configuration in the drivers or the softer I would be kind if you could tell me.

About the Plastic Parts Needed:

According to the RepRap page I need some parts (such as a gear) which where printed from another 3d printer but they are either too expensive or very hard to find, my doubt was if I could carve in wood this pieces in order to build my own plastic pieces and then replace them.

About the Arduino and the RAMPS:

Arduino as the motors are VERY expensive and I might get problems with getting them also. But as I got some friends you studied electronic I want to know if the RAMPS and the Arduino are REALLY necessary or they can be replace with our own plaque? I ask this because I saw in the RepRap page about the "Alternative Electronics" (http://reprap.org/wiki/Alternative_electronics) I want to know if theese alternatives options are compatible with the Prusa i3.

Thanks very much in advande
Re: Questions regarding Prusa i3 build
September 05, 2015 08:31PM
Re: Questions regarding Prusa i3 build
September 06, 2015 09:30PM
As far as i know, nema17 stepper motor is the minimum motor used for this for its torque (based on reprap wiki), there are also other model uses stepper motor that were shipped with arduino starter kit (silver).

If you have access to cnc milling machine more than 1 axis, you might able to get away with that too or you could consider sourcing prusa i3 graber type, this one uses less printed parts from what I know, if you really want to go without any printed parts, try see geeetech prusa i3x, some sunhockey models and prusa i3 graber series, they don't use printed parts or minimal parts only

As for electronics, as long as it has at least 4 axis, x y z e axis, basically you're good to go, most reprap 3d printer electronics are arduino based such as sanguino (I'm using it now and having it rough day), uses atmega chip, basically it's an all in one 3d printer controller board but with very limited option
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login