Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folgertech printing backward

Posted by koenejet 
Folgertech printing backward
September 02, 2015 07:16PM
So I got my first printer, and decided on the Folgertech prusa i3 aluminum frame. I had issues getting the x axis to move and home correctly. I got help on this forum for that, so thanks all who helped.

I thought all was well until I printed a part that was not symmetricle, and realized that it printed inverted about the x axis.

To me the problem is obvious. The printer homes at front right (the x end stop is on the right hand side). Repetier host assumes the machine homes at front left.
If I move the end stop to the left side, then it prints perfect. I contacted Folgertech and they seem surprised by this.

The other option is to change repetier host so it knows to home at front right. I have played around with all the printer shape settings, and no matter what I try, it still puts home at front left.

So basically I have three questions:
1) has any one else experienced this? (If not, then why just me?)
2) is it possible to change repetier host home position?
3) if anyone has had this problem, how did you fix it?

Thanks for any help,
Scott
Re: Folgertech printing backward
September 02, 2015 10:22PM
koenejet
So I got my first printer, and decided on the Folgertech prusa i3 aluminum frame. I had issues getting the x axis to move and home correctly. I got help on this forum for that, so thanks all who helped.

I thought all was well until I printed a part that was not symmetricle, and realized that it printed inverted about the x axis.

To me the problem is obvious. The printer homes at front right (the x end stop is on the right hand side). Repetier host assumes the machine homes at front left.
If I move the end stop to the left side, then it prints perfect. I contacted Folgertech and they seem surprised by this.

The other option is to change repetier host so it knows to home at front right. I have played around with all the printer shape settings, and no matter what I try, it still puts home at front left.

So basically I have three questions:
1) has any one else experienced this? (If not, then why just me?)
2) is it possible to change repetier host home position?
3) if anyone has had this problem, how did you fix it?

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Power off unplug/unhook computer and main power. flip x-axis plug and change the x-home options in repetier or invert x axis in repetier. lots of options For the most part man set it up how it works best for you. if it's printing fine moving endstop man roll with that.
September 03, 2015 12:06AM
Thanks, I tried all of that and the only thing that works is to move the end stop. So I guess I'll do that. It just weird that I have to change the way it was designed and it's weird it seems like nobody else has this problem. And it's weird that it was designed with the end stop where it was, and they told me it's supposed to be on the right side. But it doesn't work there. And nobody knows why.

I don't mind moving it. I would prefer it on the left side anyway. Every other printer I have seen has it on the left side. So I guess bottom line is, I no longer have a problem with the machine (one I perminatly mount the stop on the left) , I'm just stuck wondering why it was an issue in the first place. Something just doesn't add up.
September 19, 2015 07:31PM
You don't have to move the end stop. This is from an earlier post. It is working perfectly for me.

Tenny
Ok I got it fixed.

So if you keep the cables wired as they are in the manual this will fix it:

Change the following in configuration.h

#define INVERT_X_DIR true to #define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define X_HOME_DIR -1 to #define X_HOME_DIR 1
With the printer off PHYSICALLY move the x-axis stopper to the left one set of pins (this makes it so it's the x max instead of x-min)

Now if you are using rep host, you need to go to printer settings > printer shape and change home X: from min to Max.

I just printed out a logo and it is not reversed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2015 07:32PM by tjnamtiw.
September 19, 2015 09:15PM
Thanks for the info. I have already moved the end stop though, and it has been working perfectly. For me that was easier that trying to figure out software and wire changes.

I am curious though, when you first got yours built, was it printing inverted? I assume it was, that's why you had to make the changes as mentioned above. Why did they put the end stop on the right side? Wouldn't it have made more sense to put it on the left, then it would have worked right the first time? And every other printer I have seen is on the left. I actually prefer it on the left.

Also, even when I changed repetier host as mentioned above (back when I was pulling my hair out) , I noticed that it still showed the black dot on the front left (repetiers start point).

Any ways, thanks again for the info. At least I know it can work that way.
September 19, 2015 11:04PM
Kjet,
I never got to print anything before I found the cure to the X axis moving in small steps to the left. As far as having the stop on the right, it beats me! You start with the X axis at 200 (actually 180 to miss the clamps on the glass) and it counts down. I'm sure someone had a 'good reason'. I read that Dan left Folger Tech so I believe he was the engine behind the design and the manuals, which might explain why these changes were never made to the manual. If someone just put them in the configuration.h file and the assembly manual, a LOT of people would be more pleased with the outcome without all the drama of searching for the 'cure'.
September 20, 2015 12:45AM
I have this problem to, but I just import my models into rep-host and then use the mirror feature. Though, I should probably fix that before I one day start a larger print, and then realized half way through that I forgot to mirror it tongue sticking out smiley
September 20, 2015 09:15AM
Mach
I have this problem to, but I just import my models into rep-host and then use the mirror feature. Though, I should probably fix that before I one day start a larger print, and then realized half way through that I forgot to mirror it tongue sticking out smiley

Yea, fix it now before the inevitable happens. smiling smiley It only takes a minute to update the config.h file and to move the connector to the left one space. Just make SURE you unplug the printer from both the computer and the wall first before moving the plug!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login