Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

print fails at same point

Posted by [email protected] 
print fails at same point
August 28, 2015 12:55PM
I have been trying to print some kossel motor frames and the prints always fails I just noticed though they have always failed in the same spot!! I have tried enclosing to avoid drafts, raised the hot end temp up to 235 and the bed to 110. I have tried adding a skirt and also printing a brim (though only 12 layers high). I have changed the infill percent down as low as %10 and kept my walls to 2-3. There was a third print just like these other two but i pulled it apart. I have since found a diffrent version of the kossel frame and I am trying to print that now.

There was some corner lifting but the skirt fixed that.
Re: print fails at same point
August 29, 2015 01:04AM
Delamination and abs plastic? I can only suggest you to pump up your temp even more probably 250'c, and see how well it goes
August 31, 2015 06:24AM
So after spending some time on IRC and learning about my "metal j-head v6" i pulled my printer apart and put the mk-8 head back in retried the print and it came out almost perfect couple very small separations so I will try another at a little higher temp. So maybe the thermo reading is off on my "j-head" or the fact of it being a knock off J-head is the blame.

Can I measure the ohms of my thermo to verify what it is? I can use the thermo on my multi-meter to check temp but would like to know a way to identify them better.

These prints were in abs so I thought I would try them in PLA thats is when I found that in order to print PLA without jamming my new "j-head" wanted 220 or higher!!?? dug out the MK-8 my printer shipped with put it back on and almost perfect print first try. I huess the fact I spent $24.99 (usd) on the new "J-head" should have been a bigger clue but I'm new.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 07:21AM by jasonsaffle13@gmail.com.
August 31, 2015 10:30AM
Printing in pla often won't give you any issues such as delaminations, but will go soft when the temp is over 60'c, I just completed one of my printer parts and I spotted delamination there, not one, but several area too on different height. I printed it on 240'c

I don't know about using resistance value to check the thermistor true value returned. maybe you could try compare it with your multi meter room temp and thermistor room temp
Re: print fails at same point [solved] lesson learned
September 01, 2015 06:11AM

These are my new kossel motor frames, effectors, etc. These are printed on the same machine as the failed prints. Only difference is I switched back to the MK-8 print head the one on the left and not the knock off V6:

And these are the ones with the knock off V6:

So what it came down to is the knock off V6 would not print well on larger prints. On smaller prints it look great.I also tried switching to PLA (after flushing out the ABS) which would jam in the print head UNDER 230 degrees. The knock off V6 had a fan blowing on the fins only while the MK-8 has a fan splitter sending half on heat sink and half down to cool print. Is the issue with the knock off V6 that simple maybe, would it benefit from a better thermistor maybe, Could I calibrate the temp better... As you can see the maybes are adding up quick so I will use my MK-8 until my TRUE V6 gets here and not another knock off. I may go back to trying to get it work but for now after wasting a week and just over half a roll filament I'll use my MK-8.

Lesson here is ALWAYS research before purchase!!

Is seen by an ADMIN please mark as solved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2015 06:19AM by jasonsaffle13@gmail.com.
Re: print fails at same point [solved] lesson learned
September 01, 2015 07:47AM
It might be due to the nozzle size though, smaller size are good for small and finer prints, larger are good, and balanced are usually around 0.4mm diameter. I printed another same part that I had delamination before, printed at 250'c with my genuine e3d v6 0.4mm nozzle; 60mm speed, 30% honeycomb, 50% outer perimeter speed. I spotted one delamination point, so I guess I'm going to crank up my temp again to 260'c maybe will solve the delamination problem.

I think this is the common issue for abs users out there trying to print something that takes lots of time
September 07, 2015 06:28AM
Also consider PET filament:
[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login