Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FolgerTech Prusa i3 X-axis Issue

Posted by tonyharney 
FolgerTech Prusa i3 X-axis Issue
August 16, 2015 01:30AM
I'm wanting to think my issue is with my FolgerTech Prusa i3 printer, but something in the back of my mind can't quite rule out the Repetier software either. I started digging around on the forums and found that there is a similar x-axis issue that I'm experiencing. The stepper motor gets very, very warm and the commands sent from the Manual Control buttons in Repetier don't coincide with what I'm expecting to happen. The y-axis and z-axis work just as expected. When I hit the HOME Y button, for example, the y-axis stepper motor moves the printing surface back until the stop switch is engaged. The Repetier software then indicates this to be the new 0mm point and all is well. When I hit the HOME X button though, the x-axis stepper motor moves the printer head about 10mm to the left (in the wrong direction), sets the known x-axis location as 200mm, and stops. I'm able to manually increment the x-axis -1 or -10 and it travels that far to the left, as expected. I'm able to do the same to move the printer head to the right, but until I hit the 200mm point that Repetier has deemed the max location. I have HOME X set to max in the Printer Settings of Repetier, so I would expect the printer head to travel to the right and hit the stop switch, but for some reason, it travels to the left and sets the x-axis to 200mm, which makes no sense. Why would the HOME X button make the stepper motor move about 10mm and stop and not travel until it hits a stop switch like the other axes do? Also, why would my x-axis stepper motor get so hot to the touch in about 5 minutes time?

I believe the only setting I adjusted from other forum threads was the #define INVERT_X_DIR true, instead of false in the configuration.h file. I also have the red wire on the right for my stepper motor connection for all of the motors, instead of having just the x-axis stepper motor flipped. I'm guessing these two cancel each other out from the original settings, but leaves me clueless as to why I'm seeing what I'm seeing from the Repetier software. Most other recommended changes, like setting #define X_HOME_DIR 1 instead of -1, were already loaded into the Marlin_RAMPS zip file that I downloaded today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Re: FolgerTech Prusa i3 X-axis Issue
August 16, 2015 05:04PM
I did finally find the solution for this buried in a thread. When connecting the end stops, it's just mentioned in the Build Manual to plug the x, y and z axis stop switches into positions 3, 5, and 7, respectively. It's not mentioned that these are for x min, y min, and z min... where as this new build design uses x max with the right side configured stop switch, so the x axis stop switch needs to be plugged into position 6, which is for x max. The image below shows how the Endstops are wired in series and which x, y, and z values the stop switches represent. Hopefully, this change will be reflected in the build manual soon, as the current manual is showing everyone how to connect the stop switches incorrectly.

September 06, 2015 07:54PM
I had exactly the same problems with my new FolgerTech i3 2020 Aluminium which I assembled these days. the doc is very poor and full of errors, I can't find any solutions neither in the docs nor in the web. Following your hints was absolutly successfull, the printer finds now all "zero's" doing the correct procedures without stopping and in the right direction in the x-axis.
All my steppers have a moderate temperature (approx. 35° Celsius) even after hours under voltage, did you find a reason for the over-temperature in your x-stepper? maybe you can adjust (lower) the current on the RAMP-print. I guess the high temp. has nothing to do with the connector position of the STOP-switch, right?
What type of printer do you have (acrylic or aluminium)?
Thanks a lot for your posting, it was very helpfull and reduced my wasted time on the search for help and solutions!
michael r. vienna/austria/europe
September 06, 2015 11:58PM
Im having an issue in which when trying to print something the printer sends the bed all the way to the front . Also when sending the z axis up it goes down and visa versa. Can any of you tell me how to calibrate this is my first ever 3d printer.
September 07, 2015 04:38AM
Same with yours; either revers the Z motor connector, or invert the setting in configuration.h
September 07, 2015 04:46AM
It is my first printer, too. I have it assembled as described in the (poor) manual, even the position of the x-stop-switch-connector is different according to the posting above (tonyharney). all other functions were o.k. at the first power-on.
please make detailes pics of the controler board with the pluged-in connectors, I am shure there you will find the problem.
all my infos are only valid for the FolgerTech i3 2020 Aluminium , all others (similar) types may be a little different because of alternative mechanical and electrical specs, especially concerning the end-switches.
by the way, my mother-tongue is german - use it, if possible .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login