Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Axis not moving after triggering endswitch?

Posted by MegaRocketPenguin 
Axis not moving after triggering endswitch?
July 30, 2015 11:44PM
Purchased a Folgertech 2020 Aluminum Prusa i3 printer last week, and finally found the time to assemble it.

However, during configuration, I ran into this problem:
When I home the axis, when I want to manually move them, they don't. Because the endstops are triggered, the axis refuse to move. Are the suppose to back off the endstops a few millimeters, or what? It does this with all axis often, other than the X axis, which always seems to get stuck.

Random question: Lets say you plugged in a stepper the wrong way, and it moved a part to its limit, and kept going for a few seconds, would that damage the stepper? The belt was rather tight, and it kept going for about 2 seconds...

Its the only motor that is rather warm on my printer now. The rest all remain cool to the touch. I turned down the POT as much as I could, but it still gets toasty. I can hold the motor, so it isn't extremely hot, its just nice and HP laptop toasty warm. Could I have damaged it?
Re: Axis not moving after triggering endswitch?
July 31, 2015 03:40AM
Did you set the x endstop as max?

what about trying to invert the plug or the x axis direction in marlin?
July 31, 2015 11:16AM
sarf2k4
Did you set the x endstop as max?

what about trying to invert the plug or the x axis direction in marlin?

When it homes, it moves in the right direction... All of them do.
July 31, 2015 11:31AM
OK, so I found it almost always does it with X axis, and I can manually move the endstop away, and it will kind of work. By kind of, I mean it will move one or two commands, but then pretty much stop.
However, it all functions perfectly fine on the LCD display...
July 31, 2015 02:31PM
Update: I have started a ghost print, (My extruder/hotend was missing from the package tongue sticking out smiley Will arrive in a few days so I can do some real printing) and about halfway through I touched the X axis stepper motor, and it extremely hot, to the point where I couldn’t hold on for more than 5 seconds. I keep adjusting the pot counter-clockwise every few minutes o see if the temperature will go down, but no luck so far.
I am really afraid I may have damaged the motor when it went the wrong way ;_;
August 01, 2015 01:47AM
This is quite weird, I wonder if using other board would be okay?
August 01, 2015 10:07AM
sarf2k4
This is quite weird, I wonder if using other board would be okay?
You mean another stepper driver? I did. Same effects. What I did was turn the pot down all the way, and then keep adding little by little until it had just enough torque for me to not be able to easily stop it.

Only gets slightly warmer than the rest during printing.

Printing works fine, it just annoys me that I can't manually move them sometimes.
August 02, 2015 07:04AM
Manually move as in from reptier/pronterface or by hand?
August 02, 2015 09:28AM
sarf2k4
Manually move as in from reptier/pronterface or by hand?

From reptier. If I disable them via the reset button on the board I can move them by hand freely.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess it isn't too big of a problem. Worked out a lot of the kinks, is running smoothly now. Sometimes I have to fiddle with the software settings to move the Z axis, but usually I figure it out.
August 02, 2015 10:26AM
You use marlin or repetier firmware? You can disable the motor in marlin (forgot the command) then you can move them by hand. They are usually disabled after set period of time I think
August 04, 2015 01:43PM
You have to home x, y, z when you start the application before you can manually move them in RH I believe.
August 04, 2015 02:24PM
widespreaddeadhead
You have to home x, y, z when you start the application before you can manually move them in RH I believe.

This is true, and this was the problem for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login