Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cant Connect To Prusa I3? PLEAS HELP!

Posted by 32bitbrad 
Cant Connect To Prusa I3? PLEAS HELP!
July 23, 2015 10:14PM
Hey, everyone. So i Buit my SunHokey Prusa I3 today and all the mechanics work. However when i connect it to my windows 8.1 computer, i cant connect in Repetier-host. I've tried following the driver instructions that came with the printer but they change nothing. The Printer shows up as a 'FT232R USB UART' under devices and printer in windows, but thats about all i know. In my device manager it shows as a USB serialconverter on com *, when i try this port in the software, the printer's board flashes a few blue LEDs that nothing happens. sad smiley

Devices and Printers:
[gyazo.com]

Device manager:
[gyazo.com]

USB
Hoope this gates fixed!

Many Thanks, Brad
Re: Cant Connect To Prusa I3? PLEAS HELP!
July 24, 2015 03:43AM
Did you try to install arduinoIDE? It comes with a special driver for the arduino family.
In the past it could get weird, when you use the "latest" FTDI driver or leave it up to windoof to install updates, whenever they occurred.
-Olaf
July 24, 2015 06:49AM
O_Jampe

Hey Olaf, I have ArduinoIDE installed already and it still wont connect. sad smiley
July 25, 2015 01:33AM
I can't use Windows 8.1. Has to do with certificates. From what I read Windows 8.0 should work. 8.1 checks the drivers different than 8.0. There is a work around but am happy using Windows 7.
July 25, 2015 03:41AM
Ah, ok. I think I'll just get a cheapo laptop of ebay, use it as a dedicated printer rig. Does Linux Work, I've heard it has the drivers built in?
July 25, 2015 12:21PM
Linux is flawless, and one of the primary development platforms for this stuff. It does have appropriate drivers, but it's more because Linux uses more broad reach drivers (USB serial is USB serial, so one driver for all) rather than the proprietary 'always need to get a nee one for every little variant' mess that is uSquid . . .

Some folks say that 250000 baud is problematic . . . I've been running that for 3 months or so from Linux, and zero issues due to comm errors . . . higher speed problems may well be just another Windows thing . . .

Or you could try Octoprint . . .a $40 Raspberry Pi dedicated to the printer that gives a full web interface and control, usable from any platform with a browser. Also the ability to run a camera for remote monitoring . . .

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 01:29PM by tadawson.
July 25, 2015 12:34PM
Humm, thats a thought, thanks! I'll steal my sister's old laptop, install linux and give it a try. What distro would you recommend for this type of thing? Ubuntu? Or something more light weight like Lubuntu, (the laptop if quite old)

Many Thanks!
July 25, 2015 01:34PM
I can't really comment on the distro, since I have basically evolved my own based on Slackware over the years . . . it all kind of depends on how *nix literate you are. Slackware was the closest to admin to commercial *nix products at the time I chose it . . .if you need something a bit more turnkey, other distros may be a good pick, but I have not used them. Ultimately, they are all the same stuff, it's just the packaging and overlay tools that change (and how out of date they are due to that overhead).

- Tim
July 26, 2015 01:04AM
32bitbrad
Hey, everyone. So i Buit my SunHokey Prusa I3 today and all the mechanics work. However when i connect it to my windows 8.1 computer, i cant connect in Repetier-host. I've tried following the driver instructions that came with the printer but they change nothing. The Printer shows up as a 'FT232R USB UART' under devices and printer in windows, but thats about all i know. In my device manager it shows as a USB serialconverter on com *, when i try this port in the software, the printer's board flashes a few blue LEDs that nothing happens. sad smiley

Last Oct FTDI released a driver update on Win 8.1 that bricks any counterfeit FTDI chips. This link has instructions on how to tell. [hackaday.com]

If it's just a driver signing error you can disable driver signing in Windows. Sparkfun has instructions. [learn.sparkfun.com]
July 27, 2015 12:21PM
Oh, is there any way i can Unbrick the chip?
July 27, 2015 02:10PM
The Hackaday article has links on how to unbrick, IIRC . . . and FTDI has been reported to have rescinded the predatory driver as well, so you should get that version off your box as well.

- Tim
July 27, 2015 05:15PM
Hey, well after watching YouTube videos. I've learned 2 things, FTDI got a kick in the backside and how to check if my chips are bricked. Using MProg3.5, i see that my FT232R has not been bricked (Has vendor Id: 6001) and i've changed all my drivers to 2.10.0, AND disabled windows driver updates. How to i get Repeiter to talk to the printer though? I have the right COM selected (COM11) and the correct board rate, i think, (250000). But when i press connect nothing happens??? Not even a pop up box? On manual control it says 'Disconnected' and i cont control it. sad smiley Have i missed a vital step here? Thanks for all the help BTW!
July 27, 2015 05:23PM
What type of board is this? If it's Ardunio based you won't be able to get your host software working until you can get the Arduino IDE to connect to it. As said above, Linux makes this pretty darn easy if you can grock Linux. I would recommend Ubuntu. Lots of documentation out there on it; however, if it would be too foreign to you it might just make things worse and solving your windows issue would be easier.
July 27, 2015 05:32PM
Its the "MKS Gen-2Z V1.1 (Ramps Compatible)" I'm ok with using linux, I've had some experience. I just need to find my sisters old laptop charger? I'm reinstalling the Arduino IDE now, unchecking the install USB drivers Box as i think i have 2.10.0 installed. I'm doing a quick test print right now, I'll get back to you in about 10 mins. smiling smiley
July 27, 2015 05:51PM
Nope, still says 'Disconnected' even with Arduino IDE installed. sad smiley
July 27, 2015 05:54PM
Are you picking a board from (i think it's ) the tools menu?
July 27, 2015 06:14PM
I just use the printer settings tab under printer. There is no option to select a board under tools sad smiley I've updated repeiter and now i get an error message (See image) Here is the detials: [pastebin.com]
Still, i cant connect sad smiley Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Image 1: [gyazo.com]
July 28, 2015 08:57AM
I've tried using Ubuntu and it works!!!!! Hahaha!!! I'm so happy, Repeiter was not working at first so i tried pronterface. That automatically selected a different baud rate (115200) and it worked! I then added this setting into repiter and then that worked also!! The WiKi page for the board was wrong? I dont' know confused smiley??? Anyways, Ima bout to test the changes in baud rates on my windows machine, fingers crossed! smiling smiley

Thanks for everyone's help BTW!!!
July 28, 2015 11:33AM
I was referring to the tools menu in the Arduino IDE. Try to get it working first.

32bitbrad
I just use the printer settings tab under printer. There is no option to select a board under tools sad smiley I've updated repeiter and now i get an error message (See image) Here is the detials: [pastebin.com]
Still, i cant connect sad smiley Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Image 1: [gyazo.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login