Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Migbot V9 extruder w Nema 17 stepper E value

Posted by printrguruh 
Migbot V9 extruder w Nema 17 stepper E value
July 23, 2015 12:28PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
While I have been in the printer industry for a long time working in many support, engineering and product development fields, I am a newbee with 3d printing. I purchased a Migbot Prusa I3 to break the ice.

One can complain about poor (nonexistent) documentation, poor quality of 3d printed parts, Crappy bearings, miss-drilled acrylic parts, no cd, non responsive support, etc., ad on infinitum but that is not constructive and certainly not helpful.... After all what did one expect for so little cost... I must say that support did provide a download of what is in the CD. Fact is that the assembly went reasonably well following the pictures after re-drilling holes and using ABS glue to repair a broken pulley block. C'mon, it supposed to be fun.

After all of this and learning all I could about Mendel firmware, gathering Cura and USB driver info along with all .STL parts and test files. I felt all was in hand. Going carefully forward bit by bit, step by step, all came together and it looked like the picture at the 3dprintersonline.com web site. After double checking all again, I wired the power supply with a heavy duty grounded power cord and plugged it in. ALL came up.. Had to search for a LCD Firmware menu map to see how to make changes and operate the printer. Spent time doing prelim alignment on the bed. After reading all Cura docs I plugged the USB cable and the printer "connected". I found an .STL for a 20mm block test file, loaded it in to Cura and attempted to print. The LCD on the printer indicated printing and the bed and the Hot end were warming to temperature. Once reached, it started to move all X, Y and Z axis points followed the 20mm cube. However, no extrusion.

I have covered all available for setting up the unit but have yet to see a "running" H file that shows the proper complete "Installed and running" config settings for a migbot unit that has the V9 extruder installed and printing properly. I have taken the time to download the Arduino IDE and have started to do the required reading. The no extruder output issue at hand implies one of three possible causes.;
1) the firmware settings are improper for the V9 extruder that came with the MIGBOT kit
2) the MKS Base V1.2 board has a problem,
3) the cable between the board and Stepper motor or the stepper motor itself is bad.

To Isolate the problem source, I did the following:
1) With printing cube I pressed tension lever on the extruder to release tension and forced the PLA filament through and it printed the form of the cube for as long as I forced it through the extruder. Poor quality as expected but it did resemble the expected cube shape
2) Connected Extruder cable to X axis connector on the MKS Base V1.2 board and was manually able to rotate the extruder motor forward and backward using the X 10mm motion control. This proved the Cable and extruder stepper motor were functional. This left probable causes as improper Firmware setting or component failure on the MKS Base V1.2 board.
3) At this time I have pulled down all I can and have yet to find a working Migbot MKS Base V1.2 H file listing for a functional Migbot having a V9 direct drive extruder that shows all of the functional settings. As almost all of the blogs and conversations recorded on the related topic blogs become an open forum for a variety of printer problems and configurations using a variety of software, extruders, various printers and firmware loads despite being a search result for the specific affliction on the specific printer, the overall gleaned help gets me into the church, possibly the correct pew but never the exact seat or specific guidance related thereto....

I can and will figure out the Arduino IDE and look at the firmware currently loaded in the stock unit as it came from the factory. But If I had a currently functional H file with proper settings related to using the V9 direct drive extruder, I could immediately make the needed changes. I would rather not go on a Easter egg hunt and start trying different things that may or may not kill the current level of functionality. One "assumes" that the loaded firmware one received in the kit was properly configured for the version of components included in the received kit. However, based on viewed comments, that is faulty logic that can cause one to deviate widely and make things much worse.

At this time, it's either the firmware settings or the board itself. As all else seems to perform as expected except the extruder squirting the plastic, I believe the higher probability to be firmware settings are the cause. I have reached out to 3dprintersonline.com and Steve replied to leo copy to me, "please contact and help the customer" ... After several days, it is apparent that request went down the rabbit hole or bit bucket.

Clearly all contributors are more hands on knowledgeable about the Prusa I3 and MIGBOT than I am at this point. Any help, guidance or information regarding the lack of plastic extrusion with a V9 direct drive extruder driven by an MKS Base V1.2 board would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Re: Migbot V9 extruder w Nema 17 stepper E value
July 24, 2015 03:49AM
I havenĀ“t read all of your post, but it reminds me of my first print.
After seeing the filament was pulled out of the extruder, instead of pushing in, I turned the power off and turned the extruder-connector around to make it spin the right way. I marked the shaft with edding and watched it turn.

Happy printing
-Olaf
July 24, 2015 04:19AM
Hi,

Not that I am the best to answer as I would state my prusa i3 is about 90% functional but...

Have you tried adjusting the pot for the extruder (I'm on RAMPS so sorry if that doesn't apply)
When I had issues with my extruder, I was able to plug it into the x axis and it worked, so I I played with the pot until it matched the extruder, but before this I had to change the order of the wires in the motor, but I sourced all my parts myself and wasn't consistent so that's my own fault

Have you tried putting the x motor in the extruder slot and running it?

Does the shaft on the extruder move at all?

Jimmy
July 24, 2015 01:49PM
Thank you for your input on the problem at hand.. I spent a few hrs last evening going through additional search listings and all seemed to be in agreement that the Steps value for the Extruder was not where it needed to be. I set the LCD panel to the proper temps for PLA and then changed the E steps value to 365 from default and then moved the Extruder to 100. Nothing came out of the nozzle. BUT the stepper shaft did move this time. Checked the filament to make sure it was engaged with and forcing melted pla through the hot head and then did the same again... Low and behold, hot plastic was extruded.. This meant that electronics on the board and the marlin firmware (with the revised e step setting had the desired effect). I attempted to run the 20mm cube through Cura and it spewed plastic as it moved but head clearance for layer 1 was way out and it never stuck on the bed. checked head clearance and then ran the cube again and after a few passes it began to stick( globby but it stuck). I let it run for a bit and about half way through the sample broke loose from the bed and followed the print head caught in solid strands. Still, it was better. Double checked clearance again, applied the tape and raised bed temp a bit. Ran the cube again. While the initial few layers were not good, it gradually got much better all the way through to the end of the print. Clearly more tweaking is required but the cause has been identified.

So the critical element is the default E steps/MM is so far out, the extruder appeared not to move and never forced any PLA through. In essence it was moving so slowly it was melting in the hot head before it was forced through onto the bed.There is an issue with Nozzle temp settings in the version of Cura (English) I downloaded. The setting doesn't get to the Arduino for some reason.....However, the communication to get the Slice info to the printer seems OK.. Regardless Cura settings do effect flow rate and a list of other elements. But if temps aren't reached, printing won't start. Eventually, though kluged for testing, a Cube was printed. except for the first few layers, the interlayer adhesion is very good and edge definition is not too bad. Bottom was ugly but top3/4 was quite good. Clearly what's needed is to redo V9 calculations and again double check all setups. Frustrated that the new board didn't have proper settings already in it for the V9 Extruder. Would have saved a lot of time. But then, this supposed to be a fun learning experience....

Ironically in last nights searching found Repetier blog with a whole bunch of people that had experienced the same symptom.. At least I am now understanding of what the cause is and can print something which means the hardware is good and the firmware is all there but its settings aren't as they should be. Surprised that no one has published an H file for the MIGBOT MKS Base 1.2 Marlin with a V9 extruder.... I will publish once I get things nailed unless someone can post one sooner. Still have to check the Cura again as there is something squirrelly going on with the Nozzle temp defined in Cura as it doesn't make it to the Marlin/LCD panel when printing. Otherwise, "IT'S ALIVE"
July 25, 2015 01:07AM
I have the Migbot and my settings for E stepper extrusion value is only 100 . Was changed from 94.56 to calibrate for 100mm extrusion. Have to post a configuration.H file when I get to another computer. I know they send different parts as mine has a metal extruder head mount. One Migbot is not the same as another.
July 25, 2015 01:18AM
I am attaching a configuration.H file. My problem is it won't let me go above 260. Probably in the boards.h file.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (35.1 KB)
July 26, 2015 12:00PM
Putzer,

Thank you for your info. Will analyze shortly.

It has become a clear fact that there are many versions (based on parts I3 kit variants) out there. Unfortunately, there are no version numbers. Like wise, the boards and Power supply details are as critical as all else. While I do realize this is a good value kit based on open architecture technologies. It is little more than a box of parts and the buyer is expected to assemble and make it( hardware, firmware and application software) work... Frankly, I had anticipated this project would require a certain amount of that. However, I think the best I can still say is that, I didn't anticipate the depth of knowledge that would be required.. Again this is a fun learning project. So there are no excuses.

Years and years ago before microprocessors were readily available and cheap , bit slice computers were the technology. Anyway, I had expected the learning experience, Just didn't expect source issues with the curriculum.. Would had to have done it anyway to access notes, updates and latest downloads.
Thanks again for the input.
R
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login