Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 Double Printing

Posted by cosmorock 
Prusa i3 Double Printing
July 21, 2015 08:26AM
Hi!!

I am buying a Prusa i3 kit to play around with 3dp. I am thinking of adding an extra extruder next to the original and modify the program to print two copies of the same object at one time.
Can some one give me a heads up on this idea ?

Cheers
smiling smiley
Re: Prusa i3 Double Printing
July 21, 2015 08:54AM
Like this? [3dprint.com]

Simplest way to have it is to have extruder part in doubled the amount, then the x belt to be connected to both of them. as for this, I can only say that your print area would be halved (x axis). The stepper motor for extruder 1 and 2 connected to a single extruder port to drive both together, but real problem arise at the heating element. I guess this simple setup (but not safe) still can go.

Not to mention that you also must use same type of filament, extruder design, nozzle and everything because the flow rate and step/mm for extruding will make quite a difference on the quality of the printed item.

Another one would be like a standard dual extruder design wired on to the electronic, I don't know if slic3r able to generate dual extruding simultaneously. If can't, then you might have to go through the gcode, copy the single extruder line and add another for the second extruder which is quite the hefty process. I think there should be a program to copy and add another line of gcode for second extruder easily without manually editing the gcodes

smiling smiley
I guess this idea isn't recommended

Try this article [forums.reprap.org], I think the thread here is a how to mix 2 colours at once, I guess should be the same as well

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 09:45AM by sarf2k4.
July 21, 2015 11:54AM
Yes!! the first 3dprint link you sent describes what I had in mind!!
July 21, 2015 12:00PM
I heard them talk about that on the 3d printing today podcast. They called it ditto printing.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
July 22, 2015 01:51AM
msaeger
I heard them talk about that on the 3d printing today podcast. They called it ditto printing.

hey msaeger !! How is your experience with folgertech? I liked the simplicity, and am thinking of shipping it here.
July 22, 2015 02:21AM
folgertech 2020 i3 is so simple, I somehow liked the concept but my personal opinion says that you better add support on top to the base like i3 rework or i3 single plate build. Not to mention the z axis motor also sits on top making the head prone to wobble upon reaching higher z height probably at 150mm. But it's wide and you can fully extend the print area just by expanding its frame and mechanical structures smiling smiley

I am using geeetech i3b, by the way. I would avoid most printer that doesn't require any plastic parts for carriage, extruder mount, x axis. because these are quite vital to changing your parts or replacing them with the generic parts

lets hear his opinion smiling smiley. Seeing how folgertech 2020 i3 were structured, I feel like wanna get another one too sad smiley
July 22, 2015 08:02AM
cosmorock
msaeger

hey msaeger !! How is your experience with folgertech? I liked the simplicity, and am thinking of shipping it here.

It's been great! I had one issue with getting it together but after that the printers were good and have been getting better as I learn all the slic3r settings.

As people are posting in the 2020 i3 thread they always seem to be missing some parts so if you aren't willing to go buy your own you will have to wait for them to send replacements.

I bought mine on ebay from folgertech because they give you free shipping there and they charge on their website.

July 22, 2015 01:56PM
msaeger
I bought mine on ebay from folgertech because they give you free shipping there and they charge on their website.
+1
I did the same thing.
July 27, 2015 12:15PM
msaeger
cosmorock
msaeger

It's been great! I had one issue with getting it together but after that the printers were good and have been getting better as I learn all the slic3r settings.

As people are posting in the 2020 i3 thread they always seem to be missing some parts so if you aren't willing to go buy your own you will have to wait for them to send replacements.

Hmm.. How did you know that you are missing parts .. is there an inventory list or something?
July 27, 2015 12:37PM
cosmorock
msaeger
cosmorock
msaeger

Hmm.. How did you know that you are missing parts .. is there an inventory list or something?

I found out when I got to a step and was missing parts. The part bags had lists on them of what should be in the bad and I verified that I had what was on the lists on the bags but some steps called for things that were not listed on a bag. I was just missing some screws so it wasn't worth trying to get them from folgertech.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 12:39PM by msaeger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login