Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aluminum or Acrylic i3

Posted by mike3 
Aluminum or Acrylic i3
July 13, 2015 11:35AM
Hello I am new here and am looking at the Folger i3 kits see they have either Aluminum or Acrylic.. which is better? Thanks.. Mike
Re: Aluminum or Acrylic i3
July 13, 2015 11:41AM
Aluminum all day. I have the acrylic i3 from Folger and the frame is fine, but the acrylic bed is warped from the heated bed that sits above it. Eventually it'll will have to be replaced.
July 13, 2015 11:53AM
Acrylic has more wobble, and is easier to break during assembly. Not to mention the possibilities for addons/upgrades/mounting options on 2020 aluminum extrusion.

My creations/2020 aluminum parts/FolgerTech i3 upgrades [www.thingiverse.com]
July 13, 2015 02:34PM
Thanks for you replies.. Aluminum it is.just ordered,,. any tips on construction.. any input would be greatly appreciated.. Regards.. Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 02:40PM by mike3.
woo
July 14, 2015 07:35AM
steel lasercut p3steel is best. stock i3 is crap.
July 14, 2015 10:58AM
So the Aluminum i3 I just ordered is Crap? just askin...
July 14, 2015 11:43AM
While I agree the I3 Steel is a better option, the aluminum I3 rework is a far sight better option than acrylic. I one both an aluminum I3 rework (working fantastic I might add) and am building the I3 Steel now.

Rigidity is one of the keys of good printing. The Steel is more rigid than the rod/sheet of the I3 rework. I wouldn't say the I3 is crap... just not the optimal choice. In your case it will work just fine with the understanding that it will take a bit of time to tweak it until it's best.
July 14, 2015 01:16PM
Didn't really think it was crap.. Lol .. What convinced me on the Aluminum is its easy expansion .. on the Folgers Facebook page .. they were talking about how just by using longer Aluminum extrusions or extensions and larger bed to upgrade. which would be almost impossible on a steel or Acrylic frame with out replacing the entire frame .. seem more cost effective .. besides I will be making Aluminum Gusset Bracing at all corners and larger Gusset Bracing on the tower..
July 14, 2015 04:05PM
A stock i3 or i3 Rework can produce good parts. The issue with regards to frame and assembly flex/vibration isn't so much the material of the frame (though that matters), it's the fact the design is only attached to that frame in two places, as with a single plate design or in the case of the Graber style acrylic or melamine frames four points. The objective is not so much stiff material, as it is a stiff structure. A design with a larger footprint and more attachment points using a less rigid, lighter material can be used as the integrety of the design is in the sum of the parts.
July 15, 2015 03:39AM
vegasloki
A stock i3 or i3 Rework can produce good parts. The issue with regards to frame and assembly flex/vibration isn't so much the material of the frame (though that matters), it's the fact the design is only attached to that frame in two places, as with a single plate design or in the case of the Graber style acrylic or melamine frames four points. The objective is not so much stiff material, as it is a stiff structure. A design with a larger footprint and more attachment points using a less rigid, lighter material can be used as the integrety of the design is in the sum of the parts.

I copy that.
If I´d redesign the i3, I´d make a sandwich design for the mainframe. Z-steppers in between with re-designed brackets and upper brackets, too.
-Olaf
July 17, 2015 10:05AM
Any preferred P3steel kits?
July 20, 2015 08:39AM
I am looking for an steel edition I3, and lokated these:

p3steel lasercut 2.01: [www.thingiverse.com]
Cordobesa: (revolucion3D) [www.thingiverse.com]
Leonardo: [www.thingiverse.com]
irobri leonardo: [www.thingiverse.com]
Aluminum remix: [www.thingiverse.com]

I have not yet found which one I prefer, as some of them are based on others.
Then there is the matter of leadscrew upgrades. I have not found a solution that supports both X & Z leadscrews.
I have found 1 Y-axis leadscrew upgrade: [www.thingiverse.com], but which steel I3 does it fit ??

/Klaus
Denmark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 08:40AM by klausbfrederiksen.
July 24, 2015 08:54AM
I ordered a Createc Steel i3, and will start a thread soon.
July 24, 2015 09:30AM
Received the Folger 2020 i3 .. and have it almost completely assembled... And I have to say it is very rigid, easily cheaply expanded ..If I had an Acrylic or wood i3 I definitely would consider The 20x20mm as a frame.. its very economic easily worked with and pretty much self aligning .. and light weight...

Mike
July 24, 2015 10:17AM
klausbfrederiksen
Then there is the matter of leadscrew upgrades. I have not found a solution that supports both X & Z leadscrews.
I have found 1 Y-axis leadscrew upgrade: [www.thingiverse.com], but which steel I3 does it fit ??

/Klaus
Denmark

Klaus,

I can understand that some people would like to upgrade their P3Steel to use leadscrews, but quite honestly the standard build (with GT2 belts for the X and Y axis and 5mm threaded rod for the Z axis) is more than accurate enough. It is also extremely economical, which was one of the basic purposes of both the original Prusa i3 and P3Steel designs.

Why don't you try building a standard P3Steel? You'll probably agree after using it for a couple of weeks, that it does not need lead screws.
July 24, 2015 11:09AM
I have thought about lead screws for my steel also. I have a plan but not sure if it will work (ordered parts anyways since I am a glutton for punishment). I'm doing this simply because I want to... not sure if there will be an improvement or not in print quality between the two but it should prove to be interesting at least. I'll post when I have something more definitive to show. (Or avoid posting a fail... grinning smiley ).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login