Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading stock hotend to e3dlite6 on FolgerTech Prusa i3

Posted by widespreaddeadhead 
Upgrading stock hotend to e3dlite6 on FolgerTech Prusa i3
July 08, 2015 11:49AM
I have the Rev B Acrylic body Prusa and if someone has a copy of the stock FolgerTech firmware with the updated thermistor table, that's all I really need.

In case anyone wants more information I'll try to keep this post updated.

Ordered e3dlite6 hotend from www.filastruder.com
Arrived with a small package of gummy bears, nice work!
Downloaded instructions and printed a copy.
Assembled in less than 30min, very easy.

Using this mount, [www.thingiverse.com] because it works with the included direct drive extruder, and also the popular spring extruder found here, [www.thingiverse.com]
Re: Upgrading stock hotend to e3dlite6 on FolgerTech Prusa i3
July 08, 2015 01:07PM
You can find their firmware on their google drive.

But it doesn't come plug and play - there are errors, like the extruder motor is set to the wrong direction and the min/max and endstop settings need some playing with.

I have the same I3 and I'll be upgrading the hotend to the E3Dv6 too. I've been searching for a new extruder and mount for it, so thanks for the links! I was looking at this one too.
July 08, 2015 01:32PM
Thanks! That's just the one I needed.

CraigMoberg
I was looking at this one too.
I like this one, provides some additional z height and has adjustable tension. Good luck on upgrading your hotend!
July 10, 2015 12:46AM
When I flash the new firmware back onto the board, is there anything I need to do first to erase it? Can I just upload the new config.h file? I've been using the stock settings with the stock hotend so I haven't messed with my config files at all until now, I'm a noob.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2015 12:57AM by widespreaddeadhead.
July 10, 2015 01:11PM
You don't flash just the configuration.h, you flash the whole firmware. Flashing it replaces what's there with the new version, so you don't need to erase first.

You have to open the Arduino IDE software and load the .ino file. That's the main file that loads everything else. (I think normally it's a .pde extension -- don't know why Folgertech has an .ino.) Set the settings in Arduino so it can talk to the board. I forget exactly what you have to set, but you have to at least choose the board and set the baud to 250000. Then hit Upload and you'll see it first compiling, then writing, then reading to verify it.

But I would be very careful flashing the Folgertech firmware. As I said, a few settings aren't right and it doesn't work as-is. Things will stop working, moving in the wrong direction, etc. If you already have a working firmware, you're better off just making the changes you need. How do you know their thermistor table is updated? It's not the latest firmware overall. If there's a value in their table you need, I would just copy it it into yours, and make any other changes necessary.

E3D gives instructions for firmware configuration here. It doesn't say whether this applies to the lite also. I don't see any info specific to the lite on their site.
July 10, 2015 10:04PM
CraigMoberg
But I would be very careful flashing the Folgertech firmware. As I said, a few settings aren't right and it doesn't work as-is. Things will stop working, moving in the wrong direction, etc. If you already have a working firmware, you're better off just making the changes you need. How do you know their thermistor table is updated? It's not the latest firmware overall. If there's a value in their table you need, I would just copy it it into yours, and make any other changes necessary.
Their firmware works perfect for me out of box, haven't had any issues with a backwards extruder or opposite endstops like a lot of other people have. I just need to change the thermistor table to 6 from 5. As far as I understand I can't just open that file on the arduino and change that one, or two, values. Maybe I'm wrong but I though I had to reflash the firmware to make these kinds of changes.

These are the instructions from e3d:

Marlin

Reconfigure your firmware for the Semitec 104GT2 thermistor: In configuration.h:

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5

For safety it is strongly recommended to do the following:

Limit the maximum power to the heater (PID_MAX 150 in configuration.h)
Set the minimum temperature to detect bad wiring (HEATER_0_MINTEMP 5 in configuration.h)

In newer versions of Marlin there are extra features for Thermal Runaway Protection should your thermistor come loose.

Upload the new firmware to your electronics.
July 10, 2015 11:54PM
After some searching I found this guide on a different thread:

The complete guide here :

1. First, you should download all the firmware files expressly for the minitronics (instead of the files of Emmanuel's GIThub) Here : [reprapworld.com]
2. You have to download an old version of arduino ide which is compatible with the minitronics Here : [reprapworld.com]
2.5. You have to modify the arduino ide to be able to select the minitronics on the board list if not, Here : [reprap.org]
2.75 Select the correct serial port in Tools -> Serial Port (mine is COM6)
3. open Config.h (or anyother file you want to change) with a text editor, modify the code
4. Launch the Arduino IDE, and open the *.ino
5. Click the Upload button
6. Enjoy the modification

I already have ide downloaded and have modified the config.h to support the recommended changes from e3d. Will try to upload tonight.

[EDIT] After uploading the firmware with my changes and adjusting the z endstop, everything is working perfectly! Only issue now is with my current motor mount and hotend I've lost over an inch of z height, but there are several designs that move the motor up and can actually add some height. Happy printing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2015 09:26AM by widespreaddeadhead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login