Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FolgerTech i3 Prusa Power Supply?

Posted by chromecarz00 
FolgerTech i3 Prusa Power Supply?
July 02, 2015 04:44PM
My powersupply has failed twice now under less than an hour of use each time and folger hasn't responded in a week to my email about replacing it. Are there any other recommended power supplies that can be mounted on the frame that are recommended?
Re: FolgerTech i3 Prusa Power Supply?
July 05, 2015 10:27AM
I run an Astron RS-50 supply on my MakerFarm 12" I3V. I also have the output voltage set to 13.7 volts and paralleled the p.s. with a 27 series AGM battery as a power fail backup. Even though it may be a linear supply, I trust it more so than a swiching power supply of the same size.
July 27, 2015 01:04PM
Power supplies have been a major issue for me as well. Most not providing the current they say the can or having issues maintaining voltage at their rated current. I am powering my Prusa i2 with two PC power supplies and the new i3 I just built is powered by two of the higher wattage XBOX 360 power supplies. You can get these used at Game Stop for less than 30 a piece. Try to get them to give you the higher wattage ones.
July 27, 2015 02:46PM
TRC is the US stocking distributor for Meanwell power supplies. Some of the best in the business, good support with warranty.

[www.trcelectronics.com]
July 27, 2015 04:52PM
I purchased a kit and the power supply blew the neutral trace off the board on power up! I went to the local computer repair shop and bought a used CoolMax 500 watt that has 29a on the 12+ rail. It cost $10 and works great. It had a power switch on it and I only had to put 1 jumper from the green sense line to ground. The power plug was a direct fit to the gt2560 board and no other mods were required.

Jeff K
July 28, 2015 03:04PM
What thick is the wire in the power cord that plugs into the wall? My original Folger power cord had a copper bundle that looked like 5 thickness of hair in it. I used an old computer power cord that had much thicker wiring and all has worked well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 03:05PM by Ecky.
July 28, 2015 03:24PM
The printer only pulls about 2.5 amps from the wall, so while not reassuring, the thinnish cord is adequate . . . if not terribly durable . . .

- Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login