Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Attaching a E3D V6 hot end to a greg wades V5 extruder

Posted by tolisn 
Attaching a E3D V6 hot end to a greg wades V5 extruder
June 26, 2015 01:33AM
Hi fellow reprapers

I'm building my first reprap printer and have some problems (don't we all !!) while at it.
At this time I'm finishing the extruder and hotend assembly and something looks weird.

The extruder is a greg wades extruder V5 and the hotend is a E3D V6. I also have a groove mount aluminum plate used to attach the hotend to the extruder.

The neck (groove end) of the hotend fits OK into the extruder hole but the weird thing is in order for the groove mount aluminum plate to tighten the hotend to the extruder I have to place 3-4 washers into the hole of the extruder and then place the hotend. After that I use the aluminum groove mount plate to tighten the whole assembly.

The question is, is it normal to to have so many washers between the hotend and the extruder.
Anyone have this combinations of parts and would like to share some light to this ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 02:28AM by tolisn.

The road is long but we are getting there.
Re: Attached E3D V6 hot end to greg wades V5 extruder
June 26, 2015 02:11AM
Another build for the mount you can go would be based on my x-carriage and extruder mount that I modded/created in order to accommodate mk8 extruder. This one is my extruder mount for mk8, a place to put small servo for auto bed leveling also included, haven't created the lever for the switch yet [www.thingiverse.com]

But the item above are only compatible with this [www.thingiverse.com] (45mm lm8uu with geeetech screw profile) and/or this [www.thingiverse.com] (also geeetech screw profile)

An extruder design similar to mk8 and compatible with my extruder mount would be this if you want it fully printable [www.thingiverse.com]

I guess the empty area where you put in the washers probably where to put in pneumatic bowden tube fixing or something. But as long as it fits snuggly, I wouldn't complaint, but yeah, I also wanted to know th reason behind this, have you ever tried asking this in the extruder section? I doubt if there's any help here though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 02:39AM by sarf2k4.
Re: Attaching a E3D V6 hot end to a greg wades V5 extruder
June 26, 2015 10:18AM
Hi

I think no need so many washer, from the moment that your have something to guide the filament as closed to the nozzle.

Check if without it you have PTFE tube to guide the filament.

Maybe pictures of the assembly will help us more .
Re: Attaching a E3D V6 hot end to a greg wades V5 extruder
June 26, 2015 12:01PM
The e3d v6 that I have does not require the ptfe tube. it is made for 3 millimetre filament. if I do not use the washers then the hotend will not tighten to the extruder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login