Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about vibrating step motor (RAMPS 1.4 + A4988 Stepstick + Marlin firmware )

Posted by shlimazl 
Hi

I am using Wantai NEMA17 42BYGHW609 step motors on RAMPS 1.4 with A4988 stepstick driver which has Rs=0,2 ohm(RS200) . I couldn't move the steppers. I have 12V 20A power source. I checked the cables and measured voltage it is 12V. My reprap version is Prusa i3 rework.

I have tried all the possibilities with pot on A4988 Stepstick. 0,2V to 1,6V. Actually I can't raise more than 1,6V the stepstick's pot turns to 0 V.

I am using firmware with axis steps per unit(80,80,4000,1000). I have tried different values too(200 or 400 even 4000). All the jumpers are connected for the 1/16 microstep is under the stepstick.

Nema 17 motors only vibrates or very little movements forward or backward meaningless. The stepstick driver's heat is rising quickly even the coolers are connected.

I have tried different A4988 stepsticks and it is all the same.

I read lots of calibration and setting documentation on the internet but nothing worked.

Can you please help with the correct settings and calibration?
Using a multimeter, check your stepper connectors, they should be wired A+A-B-B+ or something like that (see the wiki). Then check you acceleration settings in Configuration.h in Marlin.
I have checked the stepper wires they are correct wired.

Acceleration settings in firmware;

#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {900,900,100,10000}

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 3000

#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 3000.

What should be the stepstick's correct vref?

Motor specs says it is 3,4V 1,7A. The formula for A4988 is Vref = I_TripMax * 8 * Rs. My Rs=0,2ohm so ; Vref = I_TripMax * 1,6

in this case my step motor says 1,7A so Vref = 1,7 * 1,6= 2,72V confused smiley but my stepstick can only rise with pot to 1,6V.
The formula is correct, but you can´t raise the Vref high enough. But still it should run without load.

I´m sure, you have the motor wiring wrong. Because thats the cause for a humming stepper.
-Olaf
Z stepper acceleration is completely wrong, it should be between 2 and 5. Also set a much lower default acceleration, something like 500 for tests.

And recheck the steppers wiring. Vref=1V is a good starting point in your case.
AndrewBCN
Z stepper acceleration is completely wrong, it should be between 2 and 5. Also set a much lower default acceleration, something like 500 for tests.

z-Speed should be 2-5, acceleration of 100 is fine...smiling smiley
-Olaf
o_lampe
AndrewBCN

z-Speed should be 2-5, acceleration of 100 is fine...smiling smiley
-Olaf

Not in my experience...

//// MOVEMENT SETTINGS
#define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {25*60, 25*60, 2*60, 0} // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {160,160,4000,775} // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {400, 400, 1, 45} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {5000,5000,10,5000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 1000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 2000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

// Offset of the extruders (uncomment if using more than one and relying on firmware to position when changing).
// The offset has to be X=0, Y=0 for the extruder 0 hotend (default extruder).
// For the other hotends it is their distance from the extruder 0 hotend.
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 20.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the X axis
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 5.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the Y axis

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 20.0 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)
I would also suggest double checking the motor wire pairs with a multi-meter

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Hi

Be sure the drivers 4988 are in good direction and you have all the jumpers under them set correctly.
If you invert the drivers they will heat as crasy and may be damage.

As _o_Lamp, be sure one pair is on A and the other is on B.
If this ok,
With a small knif remove the terminals from there supports and be sure they can be inserted tight over the drivers pins. A lose connection happen often.
laopa

As _o_Lamp, be sure one pair is on A and the other is on B.

It´s not enough that A is on the A-port and B is on the B-port. They also have to match A/A+ and B/B+ or A/A1 and B/B1. Otherwise the stepper only vibrates.
Chinese kid slaves in the stepper factory can make mistakes sometimes.... sad smiley
thanks for all the advices. I have found that 1 stepstick is damaged i have changed it but my real mistake was wiring! as almost all of you said. I have checked the resistance of every pair with multimeter and corrected them. They all work like charm smiling smiley. I am making the calibration now. Thanks for all of the answers.smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login