Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Video Update! Geeetech'ers: Power supply Issue.

Posted by XYZM 
Video Update! Geeetech'ers: Power supply Issue.
June 01, 2015 06:39PM
I am using the GT2560, DRV8825 with an updated firmware for using 1 extruder (since the GT2560 was intended for 2, and I was having errors with the software looking for thermister 2 before hand)

Geeetech is sending me a new power unit, but has anyone experienced this?

They think that turning on the extruder and heatbed is depriving the motors of voltage, but it doesnt seem that way when I measure through the vrefs.

My extruder and heatbed are using about 8 Volts...

Can everyone check what theyre heating element is using?

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you so much!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 12:20PM by XYZM.
What do you mean with "using 8 Volts"?

The voltage drops from 12V to 4V?
Then you have a big problem with the PSU or wiring.
-Olaf
What I mean is, while the heating element is on, when I put my multi meter on the two wires I get around 7 volts from the Heat bed, and 7 volts from the extruder.

I don't think the wiring is messed up, but one of the clips that goes to the com on the PSU does not match the rest, so I had to crimp it to actually fit behind the screw. (Picture will follow if you want a visual).

After adjusting that a bit I get normal movement with the extruder on, but once I turn on the heat bed, the motors sound so horrible.
Video so you can visually see what is going on

[www.youtube.com]
Such a "spam" like thread title

Try to turn up the potentiometer on your step stick slowly. That sounds is what I think lack of current to drive the motor
sarf2k4
Such a "spam" like thread title

Even worse, it´s a multi-spammer grinning smiley

Please don´t post the same thing twice
-Olaf
Yeah, sorry If I could delete a thread I would. Figured it would be more relevant in the Prusa i3 section.
Re: Video Update! Geeetech'ers: Power supply Issue.
June 03, 2015 08:49PM
I think you have to edit/delete your very first post to do that. All you need is patience, forums aren't really like live chat room.

Back to the topic, have you tried turning up the potentiometer?

Someone told me about voltage is actually like a tank capacity, when there's a lot of 12v or other lower equipment using it, it might go down, and the equation I think goes like this V=I/R and I don't know which, I don't have E&E background. So I think it is okay for the voltage drop as more load being pulled from the psu
June 04, 2015 12:15AM
The solution was changing the mains to 110V...very simple fix I overlooked.

One reason I ignored this was because the power supply had a sticker on the side that says

"110-120 50Hz

200-240 60 Hz"

I knew for sure the US is at 60Hz, so I left it the way it was on 220.

Good thing the error wasn't the other way because it would have hot smiley
June 04, 2015 02:23AM
XYZM
The solution was changing the mains to 110V...very simple fix I overlooked.

One reason I ignored this was because the power supply had a sticker on the side that says

"110-120 50Hz

200-240 60 Hz"

I knew for sure the US is at 60Hz, so I left it the way it was on 220.

Good thing the error wasn't the other way because it would have hot smiley

Good to know that you solved it then reports back here for others to refer to when they came into same problem. I never really looked at the frequency instead look at the input/output voltage. These are the thing that is important to me smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login