Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New board install

Posted by 1978bamf 
New board install
May 31, 2015 06:25PM
So i got my new gt2560 board installed and was wondering what should b the first step? Do i hook everything up then download firmware or the other way around? And what is the best firmware to use? I have heard so many things on firmware that my head hurts plus i really dont want to fry another board. Any help or suggestions would b awesome
Re: New board install
June 01, 2015 12:44AM
Hi

You need to go to www.arduino.cc and download the IDE.
you need to download the marlin firmware from marlin.

in the IDE adjust you parameters in config.H.

select your board and serial port in IDE and copy the firmware to the board.

If it is the first time, better check the ARDUINO web site on how to use the IDE.
and the Marlin firmware for the parameters. Youtube and Google are your friends.
June 01, 2015 10:00PM
1978bamf
So i got my new gt2560 board installed and was wondering what should b the first step? Do i hook everything up then download firmware or the other way around? And what is the best firmware to use? I have heard so many things on firmware that my head hurts plus i really dont want to fry another board. Any help or suggestions would b awesome

Check the board if there is any existing firmware or not before hooking up with everything, this is to avoid frying the board again, if there's no firmware, upload it just like what @laopa says, should be pretty straight forward, geeetech has a wiki on how to upload the firmware for ramps and sanguino, this applies to all kinds of board marlin supports but don't forget to select the correct board type on marlin config.h
June 02, 2015 07:59PM
Is there an easy way to check if the board already has firmware loaded on it?
June 02, 2015 09:31PM
Start here

[www.geeetech.com]

If anything doesn't make sense let me know.
June 04, 2015 10:19PM
So i got the board wired up and it works and has marlin firmware already installed. My question is how can i open the current firmware and modify it or do i just upload my version of marlin that has been modified?
June 04, 2015 10:20PM
The reason i ask this is because i dont want to fry another board and the motors wont move correctly, they studder and make a weird noise.
June 04, 2015 10:46PM
Just hook your board to your pc and connect using pronterface. No need to power the board from the mains. Also don't forget to check if there's any eeprom preconfigured.

You can't however pull and modify flashed firmware. You have to make your own changes later. Of course, don't forget to check the prusa calculator for steps/mm, then you can work your way out slowly.

By studder/making a grinding noise, Don't forget to connect all 3 pairs of jumper pins for each step stick placement, to get at least 16 microstep. Not to mention when you got them moving without any studder, try doing a test print. Not just a simple 20mm cube, and monitor if the motor will studder or we call it skipping several steps that will ruin your prints. If the motor studder during print, slowly turn the potentiometer on the stepstick. Not all pots on a stepsticks has a travel limit so you have to be careful when turning them and DON'T SHORT THE STEPSTICK WHEN TURNING THE POT
June 05, 2015 06:54PM
When you are talking about the jumper pins, are those under the step sticks? And if so what can i use to connect all three together? Also is there any specific order in which they r connected?
June 05, 2015 09:47PM
So i figured out the jumper pins and now i have downloaded a config.-h file that i recieved from here and my motors still make a weird noise like they are trying to move but the are not really tryin. Its hard to explain but they make an horrible noise and now my lcd screen is showing those two black lines again. Can anyone help with this problem. I have tried everything and read everything under the sun. I really just want to print something anything even if it is a pile of crap! Cause at this point i am very disappointed with this and wish there was someone in my area that i could just give the printer to and have them set up the software
June 06, 2015 09:17AM
Hi 1978 bamf

It will be better if you can give us a picture of your card and connection.
Also do not plug the LCD until all is set correctly. These guy is easy to break.

Are all the motors making noise?

Unplug everything Keep heaters and thermocoupler.
Check if your drivers are in the correct direction.
Only plug one motor on x.
Try to move it
Change motor
Try again.
Result?

If ok try the motor in y

You must find if motor connector problems or drivers or else first.

If you have multimeter check the coil of your motors (A,A+,B....)
And check if they are in the good direction as your drivers.
June 07, 2015 03:53AM
It´s like having diesel in your tank and killing one gas-motor after the other.... sad smiley

As long as you don´t find the cause for the failure, you will buy new boards/drivers endlessly....
Did you check the wiring between drivers and steppers? A wrong connection will cause the steppers to hum but not move.
When the wires from the stepper aren´t labeled, you have to use an Ohm-meter to read the resistance of the wires. ( while it is unplugged )
You will find two pairs of the same resistance. One pair should be the inner two connectors on the RAMPS, the other pair is on the outer pins.
If you got that correct and the stepper still hums, you have to switch the position of one pair only

-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login