Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
December 19, 2015 07:26PM
This is strange..
In manual control whenever I select the up direction for z axis, left for x and forward for y, no motors move. My motors only seem to move in the homing directions (all which are opposite to the directions I stated in the last sentence). Any tips?

Also, where can I find the test cube file, I think im ready for my first print (calibration almost done).
Also, do I just click load, and load the test cube file when I go into the repetier host?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 01:08AM by watlooazn.
December 19, 2015 07:48PM
Finished my SonnY-carriage today:

The Y-endstop didn't work out with my setup (I'm making a new one right now), so I just kapton taped it in place. Soooo quiet now, thanks for putting the time into designing this sonnylowe!

Need help? Visit the Folgertech Wikia Page

The latest Marlin firmware with Folgertech Prusa i3 settings merged in, get it here

And check out my designs on Thingiverse, and follow me if you like what you see!
December 19, 2015 08:39PM
Looks good how about a picture from the back? I need to get working on mine.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
December 20, 2015 02:20AM
watlooazn
This is strange..
In manual control whenever I select the up direction for z axis, left for x and forward for y, no motors move. My motors only seem to move in the homing directions (all which are opposite to the directions I stated in the last sentence). Any tips?

Also, where can I find the test cube file, I think im ready for my first print (calibration almost done).
Also, do I just click load, and load the test cube file when I go into the repetier host?
Yes. Try sending command M119 to check your endstop status. I'm betting the max stops are tripped. You can fix this in the config file by disabling the max ends tops or enabling the pull-up resistors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 02:21AM by elkayem.
December 20, 2015 03:11AM
Here is a picture from the back and of the holes I drilled into the folgertech bed plate (and you get to see the sassy towel I use when working on the printer so I don't scratch the kitchen table):

The new endstop works well (if someone is going to build the y-axis, let me know and I'll give you the STL). Whatever length I eyeballed the piece to be cut at worked out perfectly... after putting it all together with the idler end flush with the frame bottom, I learned the openbuild gantry would run in to it and I lost about 25mm of build space. No problem though, I had about 35mm on the other side to spare, so things are back to normal and it looks perfectly "fitted".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 03:26AM by therippa.

The latest Marlin firmware with Folgertech Prusa i3 settings merged in, get it here

And check out my designs on Thingiverse, and follow me if you like what you see!
December 20, 2015 09:13AM
therippa
Finished my SonnY-carriage today:

The Y-endstop didn't work out with my setup (I'm making a new one right now), so I just kapton taped it in place. Soooo quiet now, thanks for putting the time into designing this sonnylowe!

Thanks for the post and the props...glad to see another one up and running, makes me feel like I got it right, or at least close LOL
December 20, 2015 09:15AM
therippa
Here is a picture from the back and of the holes I drilled into the folgertech bed plate (and you get to see the sassy towel I use when working on the printer so I don't scratch the kitchen table):

The new endstop works well (if someone is going to build the y-axis, let me know and I'll give you the STL). Whatever length I eyeballed the piece to be cut at worked out perfectly... after putting it all together with the idler end flush with the frame bottom, I learned the openbuild gantry would run in to it and I lost about 25mm of build space. No problem though, I had about 35mm on the other side to spare, so things are back to normal and it looks perfectly "fitted".

Therippa's efforts bring up a good point, this is still a work in progress, and the parts may or may not suit everyone or every printer. Please keep that in mind if you decide to take on this adventure. Also keep in mind I'd be happy to adjust anything that someone needs or wants done...
December 20, 2015 02:10PM
elkayem
watlooazn
This is strange..

Yes. Try sending command M119 to check your endstop status. I'm betting the max stops are tripped. You can fix this in the config file by disabling the max ends tops or enabling the pull-up resistors.

Ok so I'm guessing I go to the G-code bar, and just type M119? What should happen for me to know my enstop status is ok?

What does max stops being tipped mean and how would I actually disable the max end stops/enable the pullup resistors in the config file?

Thanks for the help, I'm new to this smiling smiley
December 20, 2015 02:34PM
watlooazn
elkayem
watlooazn
This is strange..

Ok so I'm guessing I go to the G-code bar, and just type M119? What should happen for me to know my enstop status is ok?

What does max stops being tipped mean and how would I actually disable the max end stops/enable the pullup resistors in the config file?

Thanks for the help, I'm new to this smiling smiley
Connect your printer to Repatier-Host (press the Connect button while the printer is connected to your computer with a USB cable), and go to the Manual Control tab. Type M119 in the G-Code window. The log window should tell you if it thinks your endstops are tripped. (If you don't see the log window, press the "Toggle Log" button.

Motors going one direction indicates that Marlin thinks your printer head is up against an endstop in the other direction. That is the most likely explanation for your symptom. The end stops output 5V when they are open, and 0V when closed. These kits only have 3 endstops, not 6, so the other pins are left floating and can fool Marlin into thinking they are closed. Look in the Configuration.h, and you will see an option to disable the max endstops, or to enable the pull-up resistors which will force the floating pins to 5V.
December 20, 2015 04:39PM
therippa

Thanks for the pics pics. If you have a better end stop definitely post it. I am going to get to mine pretty soon been spending every night online shopping lately. I have the parts from open builds so I am committed :-)

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
December 20, 2015 04:51PM
I have read a number of posts where people have stated that the build documentation is either wrong or missing information and I am a bit concerned that there still isn't an updated document. Has anyone put together an errata sheet with all of the corrections?
December 20, 2015 05:21PM
Here's that endstop - [www.thingiverse.com]

December 20, 2015 06:18PM
john-i
I have read a number of posts where people have stated that the build documentation is either wrong or missing information and I am a bit concerned that there still isn't an updated document. Has anyone put together an errata sheet with all of the corrections?

I can't attest for it's accuracy (I already had mine built while this was being complied) but I believe this one is pretty complete, and updated!?!?

[github.com]
December 20, 2015 06:29PM
Sonnylowe, thank you for the quick response. Is this an update to the one that Folger Tech posted on thier Google drive?
December 20, 2015 06:35PM
sonnylowe
john-i

I can't attest for it's accuracy (I already had mine built while this was being complied) but I believe this one is pretty complete, and updated!?!?

[github.com]

Nope, while that one is cleaner, it still has the same mistakes in it, such as the X end stop being plugged into the wrong place.

According to the instruction manual, The plug for the X motor should have the red wire to the left. Put it just like the picture shows. The instructions call this the 'Z' motor again. Also these things need to be done that are different from the instructions.>>

Change the following in configuration.h

#define INVERT_X_DIR true to #define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define X_HOME_DIR -1 to #define X_HOME_DIR 1
With the printer off PHYSICALLY move the x-axis stop plug to the left one set of pins (this makes it so it's the x max instead of x-min)

Now if you are using rep host, you need to go to printer settings > printer shape and change home X: from min to Max.

One big glaring mistake in the build manual is putting the X stop plug in the wrong place on the board. It should be right next to the Y stop plug, not two over as the manual says. Also, for the X motor plug wires, keep them as you see. It's not a mistake to have them reversed from the others. I DID end up reversing the extruder motor plug because it was pushing the filament out the top!

The new spring design extruder has a brass feed gear that, for me, was rubbing inside the motor housing and causing it to drag and skip steps
December 20, 2015 09:24PM
It was actually week 12.
[moosteria.blogspot.com]
I put that code in and haven't had any problems since.m printed about 4 parts.
Thanks for the help.
December 20, 2015 11:01PM
Is the home position supposed to be with the extruder at the FRONT RIGHT of the heat bed or the extruder at the BACK RIGHT of the heat bed? How would any of the above change printing? I want to make mine at the back right but cant get the heat bed to move front in the y direction when homing even when I set the code as follows:

#define Y_HOME_DIR 1

Anyways, I'll just settle for my heat bed to move back and the home position of the extruder to be at the front right
December 20, 2015 11:49PM
Also, my motors still don't move in the non homing directions.

I typed M119 in the gcode and got 'triggered' as a max value for all 3 endstops. I tried to uncomment define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS as shown below, but nothing happened. How can I get my motors to move in the other directions?

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Y_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Z_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
December 21, 2015 02:01AM
watlooazn
Also, my motors still don't move in the non homing directions.

I typed M119 in the gcode and got 'triggered' as a max value for all 3 endstops. I tried to uncomment define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS as shown below, but nothing happened. How can I get my motors to move in the other directions?

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Y_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.
const bool Z_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops.

Did you enable the pull-up resistors for the max end stops?
December 21, 2015 02:03AM
// coarse Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
// fine Enstop settings: Individual Pullups. will be ignord if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
// #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
//#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
//#define DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS

// Disable max endstops for compatibility with endstop checking routine
#if defined(COREXY) && !defined(DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS)
#endif

This is what my config.h file says in the endstop section.

My printer has the home at the right front.

My endstops are on the back for the bed and on the right for the extruder.

I have it set to end the print at the back right so it pushed the bed to the front after the print so I can remove the part, but that setting is in your print program if I remember correctly.
December 21, 2015 07:39AM
built350camaro
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
// fine Enstop settings: Individual Pullups. will be ignord if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#endif

const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.

#endif

I have it set to end the print at the back right so it pushed the bed to the front after the print so I can remove the part, but that setting is in your print program if I remember correctly.

My printer is setup with the front left corner of the bed as X-0 Y-0, I think that's pretty standard overall.

The problem is the FT instructions were incorrect, and it obvious that not everyone used the same fix to correct it. I would suggest you pick one person to take advice from and do exactly what they did. I think you are getting contradictory advice based on how that particular person resolved the problem, not that one is correct and another is not...they're just different "means to an end".

For example, I moved the X endstop to the left side of the extruder (Min side) of my printer, if I recall correctly I was able to leave the wiring and firmware as is and it all worked (can't remember exactly as I've gone through a lot of setup iterations since then) . I had it running with therippa's verison of Marlin and that config would be different than one with the endstop to the right.

So again, pick ONE setup and go for it winking smiley
December 21, 2015 07:51AM
My 2020 is still packed as it's a Xmas gift.

I wanted to get the glass now for the heat bed. Could someone tell me the measurement of the glass piece I'd need.

Thanks.
December 21, 2015 10:02AM
marc2912

I wanted to get the glass now for the heat bed. Could someone tell me the measurement of the glass piece I'd need.

Thanks.

I use this ONE...I used to use a 8" x 8" 2mm glass, I like the new glass better smiling smiley
December 21, 2015 10:15AM
built350camaro

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#endif

#endif

For whatever reason, that wouldn't work for my unit, and I had to uncomment the ENDSTOPPULLUP lines for the end stops that were showing up as triggered. It's really a mystery to me why more people don't encounter this issue. Also, I placed the x endstop on the left, with the origin at the front left of the heated bed. As sunnylowe observed, there are many ways to get there.
December 21, 2015 10:37AM
sonnylowe
therippa

Therippa's efforts bring up a good point, this is still a work in progress, and the parts may or may not suit everyone or every printer. Please keep that in mind if you decide to take on this adventure. Also keep in mind I'd be happy to adjust anything that someone needs or wants done...

Where are the STLs again, you have me sold on this now. I'll get the parts printing ready to start building in January smiling smiley
December 21, 2015 01:34PM
sonnylowe
marc2912

Thanks.

I use this ONE...I used to use a 8" x 8" 2mm glass, I like the new glass better smiling smiley

I use the same one and it works great! 70C on the bed and a light coat of hairspray and it's good to go for PLA.
December 21, 2015 01:38PM
tjnamtiw
sonnylowe
marc2912

Thanks.

I use the same one and it works great! 70C on the bed and a light coat of hairspray and it's good to go for PLA.

I also have the same one, but am using 60C temp with nothing else, and I've only had one very thin-walled item not stick. Great stuff.
December 21, 2015 01:44PM
markts
tjnamtiw
sonnylowe
marc2912

Thanks.

I also have the same one, but am using 60C temp with nothing else, and I've only had one very thin-walled item not stick. Great stuff.

How are you guys clamping the class to the bed? binder clips? Do you find that messes up the leveling of your bed?
December 21, 2015 02:05PM
elkayem
built350camaro

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#endif

#endif

For whatever reason, that wouldn't work for my unit, and I had to uncomment the ENDSTOPPULLUP lines for the end stops that were showing up as triggered. It's really a mystery to me why more people don't encounter this issue. Also, I placed the x endstop on the left, with the origin at the front left of the heated bed. As sunnylowe observed, there are many ways to get there.

Sorry I forgot that I also moved the X endstop wiring over to the left from what it shows in the build manual.
December 21, 2015 02:25PM
Possibly a dumb question, but where exactly do we adjust the vref for the motors? I seem to be missing something very obvious.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login